Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 
Mirage23

Needing some advice

I have a girl betta that has been getting constipated a lot lately. I'm assuming she's really sensitive to foods and just gets that way easy but she's also a fatty and likes to steal food from the other girls. I'll be feeding one in a corner and she comes out of no where and takes the food. She acts likes she's starving or something haha. None of my other girls get this way so I'm going to assume it's just her but she constipates and floats to one side and the next morning she'll be fine and it's ALWAYS after dinner time. She never gets this way for breakfast so it's weird to me. I've treated her in epsom salts before but she seems to get better the next morning even without treatment. What should I do about her so she doesn't have to go through this after dinner? This started almost a week ago and happened 3 nights since then. She even did it in her hospital tank once. I alternate feeding of Topfin pellets and Frozen Brine shrimp and a fast day on Sundays. The next morning she's always back to her happy self so I don't know what it is anymore. Maybe it's not constipation? Any ideas? Should I just start feeding her in a cup?
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #2 
Roemgie

She may possibly be bloated with eggs. Funny thing though my best friends female is a chubby little girl :P she has an odd shape to her almost like her tummy is so big it causes a hump in her back. BUT even with fasting she has never lost the weight. I think (like most females) she's just producing eggs and is grabbing for extra protein to help her keep up her system. I personally don't know of a way to get her to lose weight other than trying to exercise her. But unless she's acting slow and lethargic like she's in pain than I think you're fine :) But i've only seen it with other people
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #3 
Myates

Why not feed her, then cup her (leave the cup floating in the tank to avoid issues with the other girls) while the other girls are eating.. that way she doesn't over eat.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 
Mirage23

That's a good idea Myates. Roemgie, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense haha she doesn't look like she's in pain. She still swims around and is acting silly as usual. It seems like she likes to swim into other girls backs fins tho. I don't see her nip but she likes to be behind them and follow them around. It's kinda cute.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #5 
Mirage23

She gets an odd shape too but only when she bloats really big otherwise she just looks fat. But she's active and always swimming everywhere and loves to chase strings. Plus she's got other girls to "play" with.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree with cupping her during feedings.
I am not very experienced with females... I just got my first three last week and they are super spunky :) I love them. I do know that they get full of eggs and look super bloated, but I don't have the experience with this yet with my young girls...

I do know this... Both my males have had bloat issues before. One was due to overeating (and I also think he needs to be fed less because he is blind and more lethargic than most bettas) and one was due to internal parasites... Either way, they both had buoyancy issues. I think that if she was floating uncontrollably and kind of "tilting" at the surface of the water, then it would be bloating. If not, she may just be eggy... Also, some just get a little bloated after feeding (and I do believe CTs are more susceptible to this).

I think it would still be a good idea to cup her just to make sure she isn't getting too much to eat.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #7 
chardzard

try some epsom salt it will help with the bloating
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #8 
Mirage23

She does tilt a little to the side but in a couple of hours she's better and throughout she's trying to swim and discover new things. This is gonna be weird but if one goes in "heat" do they all start getting into heat? Kinda like... Human girls and... You know what they say about girls that hang around together all the time? I don't know how else to say it without risking offending anyone. But does it work that way? Because 2 days ago one of my girls was eggy and had her vertical stripes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Haha, I don't know if its the same... But if it is clearing up on its own, I wouldn't treat it with anything, just try feeding her less. It sounds like bloat and most of the time its cured by, well.. poo.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #10 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage23 View Post
She does tilt a little to the side but in a couple of hours she's better and throughout she's trying to swim and discover new things. This is gonna be weird but if one goes in "heat" do they all start getting into heat? Kinda like... Human girls and... You know what they say about girls that hang around together all the time? I don't know how else to say it without risking offending anyone. But does it work that way? Because 2 days ago one of my girls was eggy and had her vertical stripes
lol no they dont wat ur seeing is they r checking to see who is a male, a few days a go i got some green HM ,well my friend told me they were all females so i put 3 of them in a small tank about a day after i though the 3 of them was fighting but when i check them on the 2nd day the tank was full with eggs yup 1 was a male , wen i told him about it he told me he got 2 PK males out of the same spawn , so not to sure wat ur goin to do with those girls, the male he use was rosetail n the female was HM bout imported so he had no idea wat they really was
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote