Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 
Jaye

Snails & Shrimp for Bettas

Hi I am new to this forum. Came here to learn about my male betta. I have had betta's before, one lived for a couple years sadly enough in one of those vases. I really didn't know how much better they would survive in the "proper" environment.

I bought a 5 gallon tank before I found this site, so here I am. I really wanted a brislenose plecto and have found that is not a good idea. You talk about shrimp and snails.

What about cherry's for shrimp? I was really interested in shrimp till I saw that bettas could possible eat them. Sorry, I would feel just awful.

I see the common 3 of the snails mentioned, but somewhere I read someone had a assassin snail in their tank. No one commented - are they a good/bad choice? I don't really want a messy tank.

Thanks
Jaye and Gusto
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #2 
bryanacute

Hi,
Some bettas have a problem with snails and will rip parts of snails bodies (eyes antenani) thinking they are invading their territory.
If you have a male, shrimp are also not the best choice. My betta Neptune ate 3 ghost shrimp of mine.
I would recommend Cory Cats. Fish with bright colors, and long fins are not reccommended as your betta may kill your other fish. There are many other threads about this topic, I would recommend searching around some of them and reading others pros/cons about certain tank mates and go from there.

Thanks.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #3 
blu the betta

from what i heard the assassin snail should be kept in a tank at least 30 gallons. it is harmless to fish but kills other snails. my betta doesnt kill my shrimp he leaves them alone. my shrimp are around 2 inches so he wouldnt eat them. i had a half inch shrimp he didnt mess with it. my shrimp are really quick and can swim around the tank.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #4 
Silverfang

In a five gal, I would recommend a nerite, or a few shrimp. Depending on the amount of decor your boy MAY chomp them. He may chase them and leave them be. It's really a coin flip.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #5 
Jaye

Snails and Shrimp for Bettas

Thanks - I wondered about the assassin's. They sure are beautiful snails !

Yes I have gone thru the other threads a couple of times. I only saw the assassin mentioned once and never did see the cherry's listed although I might have missed them.

Thanks again.

And see I thought the cory's were not a good fit for a 5 gallon? That's where I'm getting a little confused. I'm all new to this. I also liked the Cory's and wouldn't mind them at all. My first thought was one of the little "cat" like fish.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Corries really need to be kept in shoals of about 5 or 6. You could keep a small shoal of pygmys in a 10 with a male betta. But some corries grow larger. Pandas are fairly small, or at least mine are! But I've got a 29.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #7 
bryanacute

Sorry. Must of sniped the part (didn't see) that you had a five gallon. Really to keep anything other than a betta, I have found you need a 10+
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #8 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
No way- you CANNOT keep ANY corycat in a 5 gallon.

I reccomend getting the biggest shrimp you see there.

Assasins can be kept in a 10 gallon, but nothing less.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote