Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #1 
obxfiction

Tankmates in a 5 Gallon Tank?

I'm new here, and new to caring for a Betta the correct way. Like most people, I always thought they were okay in small bowls, and the petstore owner I bought our blue male Beta from said he didn't need heat or anything special. I've done some research and found otherwise, but please forgive my overall ignorance. He's in a small bowl now, but later today I'm taking my son to find his fish a nicer setup. 5 gallons, plants, a heater, etc. Is there anything that can live in the tank with him? My husband thinks 5 gallons with 1 fish is ridiculous. I've read different things. I seem to remember having an algae eater in with one once, years ago. What, if anything can live with "Azure," without harming him or becoming food? Thanks for any answers.
obxfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Only a few shrimp or a snail can live in a 5 gallon, unless you want to divide it and get another betta to split it with.
If you bought a 10 gallon you would have more options.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 
Laki

Not much can live with him. It may look bare to your husband but that's just the way it has to be. I have my 5g split with 2 bettas and a tiger nerite snail. I have my tank packed with live plants (well, not packed... But I have enough to help with ammonia). You will want a filter with adjustable flow. My 5g has a whisper10. (not the 10i). Then I wrapped some pantyhose around the intake hose and some regular sponge to the output so the water stays calm and still. Bettas don't like currents.

assume your fish is blue because his name is Azure? My old blue betta's colors popped out on black gravel and bright green plants.
Good luck shopping!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a male betta & a mystery snail in my 5.5g & there is constant movement from them so empty it does not look. Please be sure to read up on cycling a tank so that you are able to keep your new Betta healthy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #5 
cliffordsmom

Some times African Dwarf Frogs make good tankmates- but from what I've read, they're really hit-or-miss. Whether or not they will be compatible has to do with how aggressive your betta is.

If you go that route and get ADFs, be sure to have an extra container to keep them in in case your betta doesn't like them.

I'm going to try them out with my fish this weekend. Fingers crossed!

And also, it's really awesome that you're moving your fish to a bigger setup. He's going to flourish! :)
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

African Dwarf Frogs would still much rather prefer a 10 gallon, as not only can they end up stressed from close quarters with other creatures, but they can decide they want to chew up your fish's fins if he gets annoyed. The Betta may also play the predator card and pester him to death. For ADFs I recommend 10 gallons - especially because they cause a lot of waste... More than most people think.

Otherwise snails or shrimp fit in that tank. With snails, they do make more waste... But they aren't all that bad. Shrimp are another hit and miss.... They may become breakfast, or be completely ignored.

JUST REMEMBER... Whatever you decide to go with make sure to quarantine for at least 2 weeks. Many times people have tossed new fish in a tank, and have had to heavily medicate everyone because one fish was sick. We don't want that to happen to you :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 
obxfiction

Smile

Thanks for all the responses. We went out and bought Azure a deluxe 10 gallon tank setup, plants, and a pagoda he can hide in. We conditioned the water, checked the temp vs. the temp he was in, and they were the same, so we welcomed him to his new home. He's so happy! He's all over the place, checking it all out. Eventually, we'll think about compatible tankmates, but for now, he's the king of his domain, and very happy. And just as spoiled as our son and our dogs.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Nice tank!! :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #9 
obxfiction

Thank you! Azure sure likes it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #10 
Bluewind

Oh how pretty! I hope that hubby sees why a bigger tank is so good for him and yall as well. He can zip about and have lots of fun with some much room and doing water changes is easier because you have to take out less of the tank volume! Plus, 1 Betta in a 10 gallon means you guys can catch crazy things going on with his water before something bad happens!

You can still add some shrimp or a snail. Cherry Shrimp are actually very pretty and have a very low bioload (just add extra hiding places and feed your little man beforehand!). Cory Cats are awesome, but you need a cycled tank and either smooth gravel or sand substrate for them, so a good thing to keep in mind for the future. An ADF can work in a 10 gallon as long as you research how to feed it. Neons are a no because they are usually fin nippers in a 10 gallon and in small numbers.

Also, having extra hiding spots actually makes fish come out MORE because they feel safer. Just something to keep in mind
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-18-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon tank, compatibility, male betta., tankmates