Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #1 
foureyed_dragon

Gravel Vac Blues

I got one of those self pumping gravel vacs to use to clean the bottom of my tank. It was working great, getting all the nasty stuff off the bottom, except it just went up into the chamber, not actually into the tube and into my dirty water bucket. When I went to take it out, all the nasty stuff went right back into the water. What am I doing wrong?
foureyed_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #2 
fish_4_all

The only thing I can think of is you are not getting suction to pull it all the way out. When I do my water changes, the water is going fast enough to create a rather strong current in the bucket. Maybe try lowering the height of the bucket to create more suction. Other than that, there might be something clogging the tube.

I am not sure if they make different sizes of them, my LFS carries one size, but it could be the problem also.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #3 
Oldman47

I do not have one with its own pump but the one that I have uses a siphon. As has been said, the siphon will work harder if there is a big height difference. For a short time, mine seemed ot almost stop working and only moved the stuff a little way up the tube to have it fall back. When I took it apart to examine things, I found a snail shell stuck in the check valve at the top of the larger diameter tube. I pushed it out with a screw driver and instantly got a properly working cleaner again.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #4 
Falina

When you finish vaccuming, do you remove the tank end or the bucket end first? Sounds like a trivial matter but if you remove the bucket end first anything left will run back into the tank whereas if you remove the tank end first and quickly tip it so that it sits mroe straight then everything should flow into the bucket.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #5 
foureyed_dragon

It doesn't appear to have much suction going, and it was a pain in the butt to get it going in the first place. I keep the bucket on the floor while I'm doing it. I'll check to see if theres something left in the tube.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #6 
foureyed_dragon

So there was apparently a piece up in the vac that needed to be popped loose before use. It didn't say that in the instructions, but when I did it started to work really well.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #7 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by foureyed_dragon
So there was apparently a piece up in the vac that needed to be popped loose before use. It didn't say that in the instructions, but when I did it started to work really well.
LOL! Well at least you have it sorted.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #8 
Oldman47

I'm glad it worked out for you. Don't you just love the instructions that come with some things?
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote