Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 
luvsheidi

Exclamation some of his gills are coming off!?

hi im really worried about my fish i just woke up from a nap and then i see that the scales ontop of his head came off. hes kind of bleeding a little bit. im really scared and i dont know what happened because before i went to bed he wasnt like this. i dont know whats happening and i dont know how to treat it. im assuming he scrapped up on something but im not entirely sure. help!?

this is what his head looks like:
Attached Images

Last edited by luvsheidi; 01-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
luvsheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 
registereduser

do you mean scales?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Those are his scales and it looks like he scrapped his head up on something in your tank. What do you have in your tank currently. List everything off. Also keep an eye on it and start cleaning your tank daily so it does not get infected. Both Hollow and Nix have done this. Nix as a baby buried herself in her gravel and got caught under a fake plant and ripped up her face and Hollow just recently wedged himself behind his heater and scrapped scales off. If kept clean and warm he should be fine.

Looking at your picture my guess is the house behind him did it. It has some sharp edges and a tiny hole. Betta are curious, I am sure eh tried to go through the hole, got stuck, panicked, and cut up his face.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 
luvsheidi

oh my gosh yes sorry i was panicking so i wrote the wrong thing so sorry! anyway, in my tank i have a silk plant and a cave. i also have smooth black rocks and colored marbles at the bottom. im pretty sure the cave is smooth but it could of cut him in some sort of way i guess. is there any other way i could treat him?
luvsheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I understand, when you panic your mind isn't working.

How big is his tank?

If it's over a gallon I would say put him in a smaller tank or bin and make a makeshift cover with say plastic wrap with holes poked in it for air and pulled tight over the makeshift hospital. Put his heater into the tank or put him in your warmest room then add a little aquarium salt and stress coat to keep it from getting infected and help it heal. Cuts are not as scary as some other things but best to change hospital tank water every day to keep it from getting infected.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #6 
callistra

More info would make sure we're not missing anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

But for this I would remove the cave and feel all over it (inside out) for rough places. It should not feel sharp or rough anywhere. Using panty hose you can also drag it all over and if it snags anywhere it's too rough.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 
Cole mccallister
Banned

Hmm just scale loss at the most nothing serious I usally keep a bottle of melafix for well just about anything that involves injury
Posted via Mobile Device
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 
callistra

Melafix is not good for bettas. It can coat their labyrinth organ and cause them to suffocate. I know many aquarists use it for non labyrinth fish in case of injury.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #9 
Cole mccallister
Banned

I usually use for anything injury related also I have watched bettas they are purely air gulpers and are unlike most labyrinth fish they do not have real gills but a frill for intimidating other males in fighting
Posted via Mobile Device
Cole mccallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #10 
callistra

Yeah that air gulping? Is their labyrinth lung at work.

Tags
bleeding, disease, gills