Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #1 
syds mom

Dropsy

Since last week I have been trying to deal with dropsy. My poor Little Dude died today.
I did everything I could with the help of others here of this forum and he didnt make it. I thank all of you from PMs and posters.RIP my little dude.
Now comes the part of saying that dealing with dropsy has been a heartbreaking experience and each may have their own opnions as to what they would do and how far they would go to help save their betta after the signs of pineconing appears. I watched my boy morning and night struggling to survive and this will be the last. If ever and I hope never that I have a betta to pinecone I will not try to keep him alive. Even with the best meds and all the great help I got from this forum and a few prayers, nothing stood in the way of this terrible symptom called dropsy. I will never put a betta in this position again. Euthanization is best for the betta no matter how much I cared for this boy I will never do it again.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #2 
blu the betta

im sorry about his death.my blu died of a bad case of dropsy too. i gave him a great kind of medicine. he was getting all the symtoms of the disease. he died about 2 weeks ago. it must of been terrible.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Giving the best care that you possibly can usually fights off illnesses, but sometimes they just get sick and it's out of our control. :/ I'm sure he appreciated how much you tried to help him. He's in fishy heaven, now.
I am very sorry for your loss :( We get so attached to our little finned friends and it's so hard to lose them, but you did the best you could and you were a great owner.
This is a learning experience and we all go through it at some point. They leave a very special place in our hearts, but you will always have the chance in the future to give another betta a good, loving home.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #4 
syds mom

Thank you for the kind words. I am down to 12 bettas now and several Ive had for around 2 years. I have I guess been lucky. I know down the road Im going to have to deal with old aged bettas but thats ok. You would think Id know what to do when a betta gets sick and what meds to give but I dont.I havent had to deal with too many problems. I had a betta given to me last year that was sick from the get go and he ended up dying so after that I started stocking up on meds just incase and I thought I was set, but then came this symptom and no meds could help him.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote