Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #31 
homegrown terror

if you can afford about $8 (including shipping) go here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new we've got several of these, and for a tank under 5 gallons they work wonderfully. there are sellers on there selling them under five bucks. as for a bigger home, if there's a walmart near you, you could pick up one of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...h-Lid/16486707 it's two gallons and made of very thick glass, which will help to insulate and retain warmth, so for under $20 you could have a pretty good head start on getting him a proper home. beyond that, if you get some live plants (which you should buy from the actual plant tank at the pet store, not the tubes since those tube plants are more expensive and generally less healthy) they will do wonders towards giving him cleaner water (they absorb and use the ammonia he produces) and also giving him a friendlier, more natural environment. i would take the toy car out, there's a good chance there are metal components in it, which can erode into the water and poison him.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #32 
Caii

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Hey everyone! My name is Caii (yes, that's my real name) and I'm in a bit of trouble...

I'm a first year college student, and a now ex-friend of mine had a betta fish. Well, said friend of mine accidentally left his betta fish on campus over our month-long break with no one to care for it... we come back, and I found out that the poor thing was in dire need of some TLC. Like, it was bad: it wasn't moving, and the water was so low and so dark.. I though the fish had died. Upon further inspection, however, the fish was alive. I immediately changed his water to the best of my knowledge, fed him (since he hadn't had food in at least a few weeks) and tried to make him comfortable... then harassed my now ex-friend about animal cruelty and what not. To which point, he said, "It's a goddamn fish! You care so much? Take it or I'll flush him." So I took the "goddamn" fish and brought him home today... and this is where I'm in trouble.

The little fish is in what I think is a half-gallon container with a lid, some colorful rocks, a yellow Ferrari and some fake foliage. I don't know anything about fish keeping, other than the fact that this little guy needs a bigger space with some real aquatic plants to lead a comfortable life.

I've read the posts and joined this site because I've nowhere to go. I intend to keep Bo (that's what I think I'll call him) until he dies, and I hope I can keep him so that he leads a long, healthy life.

That being said, my knowledge level is at zero. I currently have him on my little table with a tea light candle far enough away to light up the tank and possibly warm it without hurting Bo, but I'm afraid that the tank may still be too cold. I have no money for a thermometer, or anything else Bo needs, but I'm currently working to find someone who wouldn't mind being charitable with a spare tank or funds (if there ever was such a thing!)

All in all, what could I do to make do with the current situation? How can I help this fish when he needs all the help he can get?

All advice and comments are direly, desperately, and graciously appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading this post and I hope to hear from you soon!

P.S.- Are bubble a good sign? He became much more active since the water change and food to my happy surprise and blew bubbles (that's good, right? ^///^; )

Attached is a photo of his current set up in my room!
Comments/ concerns? Thank you!
Busy busy day today! First and foremost, thank you all for your help and well wishes! Bo and I couldn't have survived otherwise~

By the good fortune of the universe, Craigslist and PetSmart, I was able to obtain a tank thermometer, a 2.5 gallon tank, some rocks and a live Anubias Nana plant!!! Needless to say, it was a very exciting day and a confusing one as well!

Even so, Bo's movement has slowed down after I did a complete water change and moved him over, but I'm hoping that he's just trying to get a feel for all of his new space and that I'm not stressing him out too much! What do you think? I'm worried, but at this point I'm hoping that he's alright...

Thank you so much once again, and god bless all of you and your amazing kindness: I hope that with your advice and my love, Bo can lead a long, healthy, beautiful life. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Yours truly,

Bo and Caii

P.S.- The attached photos are of his new surroundings and of Bo himself! I'm hoping to get him a little hiding spot soon... would it be too much though? Comments and advice are always welcome!
Attached Images

Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #33 
AyalaCookiejar

Awesome! It looks great. I'm not an expert on plants, but hopefully you've got good enough lighting for it. Anubias are pretty hardy. It also looks as if his tank isn't too incredibly cold, ATM.

He could use some more decorations. You can't really have too many :p Walmart has $1 coffe mugs that you could use as a cave (I but them new because old mugs have soap residue on them.

I'm super happy for both of you! Bo is a very lucky Betta, indeed :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #34 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Awesome! It looks great. I'm not an expert on plants, but hopefully you've got good enough lighting for it. Anubias are pretty hardy. It also looks as if his tank isn't too incredibly cold, ATM.

He could use some more decorations. You can't really have too many :p Walmart has $1 coffe mugs that you could use as a cave (I but them new because old mugs have soap residue on them.

Thank you so much Ayala! I couldn't have done it without your comprehensive list and everyone's great advice! ^_^

(Is it alright that he's really lethargic, though?)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

Lethargy is not a good sign. Was he lethargic before you moved him to the new tank? Was the temp the same, did you acclimate him slowly, forget water conditioner? He may be a little overwhelmed... There's a lot of open space, there. Usually they get curious and check out a new tank. Watch him closely for other symptoms.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #36 
Caii

Quote:
Lethargy is not a good sign. Was he lethargic before you moved him to the new tank? Was the temp the same, did you acclimate him slowly, forget water conditioner? He may be a little overwhelmed... There's a lot of open space, there. Usually they get curious and check out a new tank. Watch him closely for other symptoms.
No, he was swimming like he was and then I moved him. I made sure to condition the water and let it sit, then when I put Bo in his transfer cup, I slowly added some of the new water so he could get used to it. I even added a bit of his old water to help with the transition. As to the temperature: it was just a degree or two above his old container. When I finally put him in his new tank, he was buzzing around and looking at everything (though it took him awhile to approach the plant.) Now he's just moving slowly around the top of the tank and along the sides... I just put in a small hiding place for him that I washed diligently with no soap or anything so that it wasn't so overwhelming. He's moving, but slowly...

Should I be worried?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #37 
homegrown terror

Quote:

i have GOT to show you the 3gal my fiance opioid slumber just scaped this week...it's fully live planted, with two coffee mugs in there, one over on its side and one kinda upright with plants growing from it like a flower pot.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #38 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i have GOT to show you the 3gal my fiance opioid slumber just scaped this week...it's fully live planted, with two coffee mugs in there, one over on its side and one kinda upright with plants growing from it like a flower pot.
That sounds beautiful! Please feel free to post a picture!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #39 
AyalaCookiejar

I love planted tanks. I don't have one yet, lol, but I've got everything prepared so I can make my 10 gallon sorority a planted tank. I also have a coffee mug in one tank and I think I'll get a terracotta pot to replace the cave I had to remove from my VTs tank because of exposed metal :/

How long do you leave the lights on, Caii?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #40 
Caii

Quote:
I love planted tanks. I don't have one yet, lol, but I've got everything prepared so I can make my 10 gallon sorority a planted tank. I also have a coffee mug in one tank and I think I'll get a terracotta pot to replace the cave I had to remove from my VTs tank because of exposed metal :/

How long do you leave the lights on, Caii?
Well, I don't have a light for the tank~ I let the sun hit it in the day, and right now I have my bedroom light on. I'm currently looking up heaters for my tank because I believe that poor Bo's water isn't up to snuff... I lit a candle to try and give a little extra heat where safely possible. Unfortunately, I don't have any more funds at the moment and my mother's not very considerate of Bo simply because he's a fish. I turned up the house thermostat though... I hope maybe that'll help. The tank thermometer reads 72 degrees, and Bo's just.... suspended at the top.

: <

Edit: Now he's laying on a leaf... is he going to sleep? @_@

Last edited by Caii; 01-19-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Tags
advice, betta, caii, rescue