Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 
Rin9

I'd like to share and get opinions...

I think I'm going with the name Pluto for him, but I'm considering getting into breeding again.

It's not an immediate goal, but I think pairing him with a nice female would be a good start back into breeding... He is a HMDT and I'd like some opinions on him (I for the life of me can't get a good pic of him flaring) and some opinions on what look of a female you think I should start drooling over on Aquabid

Here are some pics of my favorite paring I had when I was in high school...They were both from Thailand...I worked on them for weeks to make sure everything would go right and when the babies were around 5 days old my dad sprayed something (I still don't know what) while I was at school and I lost everything except the fish in my 55g and that's when I kinda quit bettas for a while.... but here they are

I'm sorry if the pics are too big...I resized them in photobucket, but they are still coming up big...
Rin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #2 
Starchild21

They are very beautiful fish, I think if you found a really good looking mate for him and got them used to each other they would make amazing babys :)
Starchild21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The female should be black, purple, or a similar color to your male how old is he? Nice fish!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #4 
Rin9

He was pretty young when I bought him...I would guess a little over a year old at this point. If he's too old by the time I get around to building my setup again I'll just have to tell myself that there's nothing else to do other than get 2 more fish! lolz...But I was thinking another copper girl like the one I had in the pics, she was so pretty and sweet. Also, should she be a double tail as well or would a nice half moon produce better fins?

Last edited by Rin9; 01-19-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

A copper would be great! Definatly not a double tail, I would go with half moon or double tail geno (carrier) if you can find one. You should not breed double tail to double tail because there will be a very high rate of defects and other undesirable things.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 
Rin9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
A copper would be great! Definatly not a double tail, I would go with half moon or double tail geno (carrier) if you can find one. You should not breed double tail to double tail because there will be a very high rate of defects and other undesirable things.
That's what I thought, kinda like overo paints and black chinchillas...I doubt I'll find a carrier so it'll probably be the prettiest HM girl I can find...
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yes, that is right... DT x DT is okay for one generation only, so best to start with DTgeno rather than DTxDT since you do not know the genetic line behind them. Otherwise HM is best, and breed the F1 back to a DT to get HMDT going :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup, but even f1 will have some problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Well, DT is a deformity rather than a "type" :p which is where you (the breeder) comes in... Cull any deformities the second you see them. Keep the line strong!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #10 
Rin9

I don't know how comfortable I'd be breeding when I know the deformity risk is high...I would rather have his health and color passed down as a HM....