Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #11 
MrRomero

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Larger particles will get trapped in/on the sponge and the bigger ones will go on through. Actually, it also keeps your filter cleaner, and increases your biological filtration by giving bb an extra place to grow. It doesn't hurt your tank.I just rinse mine out in the bucket of old water when I clean the tank weekly. It's not an issue.
haha I hear an echo :)
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #12 
MrRomero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Would the hydro-sponge filter keep my tank clean?
As callistra noted, its mostly biological filtration although it will trap particles, just not as many as a HOB filter would. Perhaps your only choice in order to be satisfied with less current and less danger for your bettas is to give pre-filters and baffling a try. Good luck!
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #13 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I think I am gonna shop around and see if I can get something better than the penguin 350, if not I'll just put a prefilter sponge on the intake.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #14 
Tikibirds

I think this is what most people use for prefilter sponges.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo...+sponge+filter

I had a marineland 5G which has some kind of penguin filter and I would find my HM's tail stuck inside the filter on several occasions. After that I decided to forgo the whole filter thing on that tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #15 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm all for what you don't want CANISTER! I had an HOB Aqueon (hated the filter pad) on my 46g, changed it out 3 wks ago or so for a Fluval 306 canister, best thing I did for my tank! Easy to set up, easy to clean, easy to adjust. I can revise filter media as needed. i took out the carbon & replaced it with poly fill. None of my girls have had any problems with the intake & unless they swim directly under the output theres no issue there. It's quiet, all I hear is the water falling back into the tank because I have the output above the water line. Plus the tank looks so much more open than it did with the HOB. Bought it from Pet Solutions for a lower price than I found anywhere else.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #16 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Well I might give the canister filter a try. I'll go down the store today and shop around for a new filter.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #17 
Bounce

I'm in 100% agreement with shellie on everything she said about the canister filter. I recently changed from HOBs on my 75 to a canister filter and am kicking my butt for not doing it a long time ago. I'm using the spray bar under the water line and it is completely silent, plus I'm noticing significantly faster plant growth with the canister filter.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

ILLBETHEJUDGE,

I had to go out and purchase a new filter for my 20H today. I've had Tetras in the past, and they are tricky to take apart, clean and reassemble correctly.

Aqua Clear was my first choice. I went to Pet Smart online, and the filter I wanted to get was 18.88 - in store only.

Unfortunately, the local Pet Smart did not carry this filter... it is no longer being made. Looks like Fluval 'ate' Aqua Clear!

The good news: although I had to spend a little more than I had planned, for less than $30.00, I was able to get the Fluval/Aqua Clear 50. This filter is for tanks 20-50 gallons, and the output flow is adjustable. It is nearly silent, except for the sound of the water (return outflow).

This tank is in the bedroom currently, and we couldn't be more pleased.

Hope you find a good filter for your set-up!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #19 
callistra

What? Why do you think Aquaclear HOBs have been discontinued? I have found no info on this.. my LFS still carries them as well as several large chains online which have not noted them discontinued either. Fluval and Aquaclear are both owned by the same company.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #20 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What? Why do you think Aquaclear HOBs have been discontinued? I have found no info on this.. my LFS still carries them as well as several large chains online which have not noted them discontinued either. Fluval and Aquaclear are both owned by the same company.
The Package.

The box now says "Fluval - Aqua Clear" and shows a picture of the former Aqua Clear unit (in a small inset) - which the new unit replaces.

Petco still had an Aqua Clear 110 filter on the shelf, but I suspect that once it sells, it will be replaced with the newer, Fluval-Aqua Clear Stock...

What can I say? It surprised me too.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote