Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #1 
Mal72

What is the general take on second-hand filters/heaters?

I am looking to increase my Betta collection and there are really not decent thrift shops in my area. I looked on Craigslist and found a 10 gallon tank with heater, filter, and hood for $30. I'm not sure if I should jump on it or just spend a bit more for a new tank. The person is local and if I went, I would go with my father to a public location for the transaction. I want to know if there are any risk involved in getting a used filter or heater since they are harder to clean than a tank tank is. Part of me wants to jump on this opportunity, but part of me wants to start from scratch with all new equipment. Any thoughts?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 
Stone

I would get the 5-gal tank form walmart with the led hood and the filter for 27 bucks and get a heater from ebay for about 10. I have 2 of them divided and the filter is really nice it has adjustable outflow.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3 
waterdog

All three of my bettas are in tanks I got from thrift stores. Clean all the equipment well with a viniger solution, rinse like mad, then set it up and run it for a week, then change the water and you should be good!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #4 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I would get the 5-gal tank form walmart with the led hood and the filter for 27 bucks and get a heater from ebay for about 10. I have 2 of them divided and the filter is really nice it has adjustable outflow.
Thank you for making the suggestion about ebay! I have an adjustable heater arriving on Saturday for 8.54 with free shipping! Thank you for that.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Almost all my heaters came from ebay. Some are older models but they work fine
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote