Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
kngiraffe

Deciding on white sand, river rocks OR glass gems?

I got a new betta today and I'm debating on which one to use until I get my 5 gallon tank set up.

the picture attached is my new betta he's a double tailed.
Attached Images

kngiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:06 AM   #2 
RoMay

Depends on the fish. I find glass gems are easier for smaller tanks that need more changes. Also it's great for bettas who are curious and love to root around. A lot easier to clean then gravel. And gravel is standard and a preferance for a lot of people. Sand is a lot harder to maintain and keep clean when white. It's best left to bigger set ups, and wouldn't for a smaller setting your going to have to clean frequently.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

kngiraffe,

Your new betta is beautiful, fiery DT! Very nice. :D

Less substrate = less area for toxins to build up, and easier to clean.

I've literally used EVERYTHING, and nothing (best for hospital tanks).

For my main tank, I've finally settled down to glass 'gems' (round pieces of glass, about 3/4"), just enough to cover the bottom of the tank. They are pretty and easy to clean. They are too heavy for a tank vacuum to pick up, and are easy to clean - the crud is easily sucked up around them. No toxins can build up beneath them, if used as I described. Thick layers of sand and gravels can become 'poison pits' (possible exception: use of under-gravel filtration).

I have two catfish. Glass gems are not the optimum substrate for them (fine sand is). The glass gems are too big for the catfish to sift, or move about like fine gravel. They are very smooth however, so the catfishes' barbels don't suffer.

If your tank set up is very small (under two gallons), use only a few glass gems for easy cleaning. Or forgo substrate altogether.

Good luck!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
Kwomais

Personally, I like the look of rocks. Also, you can get ones about the same size as the glass rounds, so they can give you the same benefits plus they never look dirty/scuzzy like the beads sometimes can.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #5 
lf0210

It depends on how often you clean the tank, and the difficulty you prefer. I find the gems easier to use, and my VT loves looking through the nooks!
lf0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

My smaller 2.5 gal tank is a barebottom tank. Makes is VERY easy to clean, ESP since there are more frequent water changes.
In my 10 gal I've got black sand. Irritating to do water changes with because it always kicks up and makes the water very cloudy.
I had gravel in my old tank, it was okay for water changes. I prefer the look of sand. But love the convienance of bare bottom.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #7 
kngiraffe

thank you everyone for your answers! i really appreciate it! thank you to all of you who said my fish was cute and pretty! thank you. still has no name LOL.

this is what he is in right now http://25.media.tumblr.com/7ff90e537...zeloo1_500.jpg

but i'm setting this up right now haha.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/75de95602...zeloo1_500.jpg

it's my 5 gallon tank.

i went with the river rocks. i bought sand but when i went to rinse it it already was annoying so i'm not using it. lol
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

if you've got a collector mineral shop nearby (or a hippie-esque store that sells crystals and whatnot) get a big bag of tumbled snowflake obsidian and use them in conjunction with the white sand.

snowflake obsidian:
http://crystal-cure.com/pics/snowflake-obsidian03.jpg

just make sure none of them are broken, when obsidian cracks it forms edges which are sharper than a surgical scalpel.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #9 
kngiraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
if you've got a collector mineral shop nearby (or a hippie-esque store that sells crystals and whatnot) get a big bag of tumbled snowflake obsidian and use them in conjunction with the white sand.

snowflake obsidian:
http://crystal-cure.com/pics/snowflake-obsidian03.jpg

just make sure none of them are broken, when obsidian cracks it forms edges which are sharper than a surgical scalpel.
that would be so cool. but i'm not using the sand. it made me mad. lmao

Tags
gems, rocks, sand, suggestions