Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 
rmarkham

Angry My male betta is still having eye issues.. finally got good pictures.

Hi everyone.

I've been dealing with a case of cloudy eye with my male HMPK for close to a month now. There was a point about a week ago where it was quite swollen.. but has since improved. I've tried aquarium salt treatments... epson salt treatments and daily water changes... It has gotten slightly better but he still doesn't seem to be at 100%.

He was MUCH worse recently... but he has never lost his appetite... just a bit of energy.

He lives alone in a planted 5 gallon tank that has been set up since 8/12. I upgraded him from a 2.5 gallon in August and had him in a 2.5 gallon prior (I got him in 1/2012).
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5-10
pH ~7

Diet- frozen food (brine shrimp, blood worms, etc) NLS betta pellets

I do water changes every week... normally.. have been doing them more often recently due to the eye issue.

Until yesterday his tank was VERY heavily planted and didn't leave much room for swimming really... I had a massive anubias plant on driftwood in there and he spent much of his time hiding in there and I would only see him when I fed him at night.

Yesterday I decided to move the anubias monstrosity to my 29G planted tank and did some re-arranging. Now he has PLENTY of room to swim around and has been doing so today.. at least from what I've seen so far.

His one eye is still a milky color and is slightly larger than his healthy eye. I can see it moving like a normal eye, but it still appears to surrounded by fluid. I recently got a DSLR and have been able to FINALLY take some pictures of his eye.. which was very difficult to do with my old camera/his old tank set up.

Anyone have any thoughts? I did use flash for all of these, but you can see which eye I'm concerned about.

It's the farther away eye in this shot.

You can really see how one eye is white-ish in this one

This is the bad eye

Blurry, but shows how the bad eye is enlarged

This is his good eye

rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would keep up with the Espom salt treatments and be sure to dissolve the salt in some warm water before adding it to the tank. I told another member about this since she has a fish with eye problems also she should be able to help soon.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 
lelei

Hello..Markham..thats me..and yup..my Sapphire in treatment as we speak..epsom salt and daily water changes and consistant heat ..could be parasites..and if yu see lil white stringy things comin out of his eye..that is what yu are dealing with..but my fishy is doin betrr.and he is been in treatment for 3 days..so keep doing epsom and water changes..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #4 
lelei

My Sapphire..has had this issue off an on for 3 mons..and just recently did I see the parasites..it was scary..also if yu have some IAL use that..cook sime leaves..make a tea..and strain..and use with yur salt..and Stress coat..it will pull those buggies right out..Indian Almond leaves..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #5 
rmarkham

Parasites.... hmmm now there's a route I haven't gone. I do have praziquel which is a mild anti-parasitic... I will do the epson salt with daily changes. I keep my heat at around 81F constantly.

I had used epson salt for over a week in the past and didn't see any improvement, are you using a higher dosage?

Have you tried any high salt concentration dips? I've read that those can help remove parasites, but that aquarium salt is better for that sort of thing.

I've had him since January of this year and this eye issue didn't come about until October of this year... could the worms lie dormant for that long?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #6 
callistra

If you've used epsom salt for over a week with no help I would switch meds, but that's up to you. How much are you using? If you're worried about parasites, what does his poo look like? I see no signs of parasites on him myself. It's not really swollen either. It just looks infected.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #7 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
If you've used epsom salt for over a week with no help I would switch meds, but that's up to you. How much are you using and how long has his eye been like this? If you're worried about parasites, what does his poo look like? I see no signs of parasites on him myself. It's not really swollen either. It just looks infected.

I was doing about 2tsp/gallon. His eye has been like this since October. I'm going out to petsmart later today and I will pick up meds, I'll probably keep him in a tupperware and float him in my 29G for heat and do daily water changes because I don't want to kill my live plants of filtration bacteria.

What meds would you recommend? Should I get Tetracycline or Clinda? I know that tetra is a better broad spectrum antibiotic, at least in humans. (I'm a clincal microbiologist)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Markham, it looks like his cloudy eye could be caused by any number of things. If he injured his eye and got a bacterial infection or if he has some external parasites that are bothering him. Believe it or not, there are microscopic flukes that will attack the eyeballs.

The medication you want to use is actually API Erythromycin. For an infection like this, a daily 10 minute bath in a double dose solution is your most effective and safest route. If you have a hospital tank, you will definitely want to use that for any medication, as most plants do not tolerate medications.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Markham, it looks like his cloudy eye could be caused by any number of things. If he injured his eye and got a bacterial infection or if he has some external parasites that are bothering him. Believe it or not, there are microscopic flukes that will attack the eyeballs.

The medication you want to use is actually API Erythromycin. For an infection like this, a daily 10 minute bath in a double dose solution is your most effective and safest route. If you have a hospital tank, you will definitely want to use that for any medication, as most plants do not tolerate medications.
This sounds perfect! Thank you! I'll go out and get some right now. How many days should I do this for? I'll use a medium KK for a dosing tank.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 
Sakura8

I would do this for maybe 5 days. If it doesn't improve, then another 3 days after that.

Good luck! He looks pretty healthy otherwise so fortunately it's a localized infection of whatever. In this case, I do tend to think it's bacterial because I think external parasites would probably go after all of his body, not just his eyes.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy eye, eye, swollen eye