Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Ammonia question

If I have ammonia in my tap of .25, and have a 5 gallon tank that is cycled, how long will it take for the bacteria to do whatever it is they do to the ammonia?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

An established filter should process out that amount of ammonia within 24 hrs hence the use of Prime when doing a water change. Prime will detoxify the ammonia, giving the BB a chance to eat up the ammonia.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

what if I use stress coat with a dash of amquel plus instead of prime? I have prime but the smell of it...ick.

The filter somehow got turned off and im not sure for how long. I'm trying to figure out if the cycle crashed or not. Not sure where my nitrAte test kit wandered off too either. I am trying to find out if the ammonia is from the tap or from the tank recycling. I dont think one betta could so that on its own in less then 24 hours
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Did you test your tap water? If not do so & you'll have your answer. Prime only smells initially straight from the bottle but airs out quickly. I don't use anything else. If what you have says it detoxes ammo then use it but I don't have experience with them. I doubt your cycle crashed if the filter has only been off for a day or 2 unless the filter media completely dried out. I'd just test it for a few days to see what happens then address any issues as needed.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I have tested the tap in the past and it does register at .25
Amquel plus does detoxify ammonia nitrite and nitrate. It seems to do the same as prime withou the smell. Everytime I use prime, my mother complains of the smell of cat piss for hours after.

I though the baceria started to die off after a few hours? Not sure if the media was still moist or not
The fish in the tank is doing a lot of laying on the sand, so I figured I would test the water thinking something might be off.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would just test it for a few days to see what happens. I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #7 
Tikibirds

Ok, I'll do that.