Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #1 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Has anyone used the substrate Flourite by Seachem?

IThanks just put together my heated 5 gallon NPTand I used Seachem Flourite as the substrate for my Anubias, Java Moss, etc. I splurged on a Plant Light for the top and even put in a sponge filter in order to help everything settle. Once the plants are thriving, I will likely not have the filter on very often. I noticed that even after rinsing the substrate the water was extremely cloudy! I finished setting up the tank--all natural except for Joker's castle which he loves, around 4 pm yesterday and it is still fairly cloudy today. Joker is currently in a 1 gallon, heated "holding tank" since I don't have anything bigger open--without fish in it.I have put Stress coat in and nothing else. I have tested the water yet either. It states on the bag that the product can be used with Clarity (another Seachem product), but I'm wondering if that was just a form of advertistment--rather than actually being effective. Has anyone else used this product? If so, how long did it take for the cloudiness to go away? I hate keeping him in such a small tank but I want everything to be perfect....Thanks! :)
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #2 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Yes I use it and love it! Here is the progression of my Seachem Natural Substrate which I chose not to rinse whatsoever. These pictures were taken in roughly 45 minute intervals. I added my HOB filter at some point too as the dust took an incredibly long time to settle. I think it took 48 hours without any additives. I chose not to use the Seachem Clarity as I wanted to add as little chemicals as possible.









MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #3 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
Yes I use it and love it! Here is the progression of my Seachem Natural Substrate which I chose not to rinse whatsoever. These pictures were taken in roughly 45 minute intervals. I added my HOB filter at some point too as the dust took an incredibly long time to settle. I think it took 48 hours without any additives. I chose not to use the Seachem Clarity as I wanted to add as little chemicals as possible.









Thank you for adding pictures, that makes me feel better! Mine is somewhere between your two middle pictures, so I guess I will give it another day. Thank you! :)
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #4 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Your fish is absolutely gorgeous, by the way! None of mine ever stay still long enough for decent pictures.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #5 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Thank you very much, that is Hendrix in my avatar. He sure is unique. I have found that the only way for me to get good pictures is to either sneak up on them when they're resting, taking pictures while feeding as they wait for the next bit of food, and when letting them flare in the mirror or at another betta.

Im glad the pictures helped. I took them for my own amusement. Didn't think i'd ever get to use them for someone else to view :)

Last edited by MrRomero; 01-20-2013 at 12:06 AM.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #6 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
Thank you very much, that is Hendrix in my avatar. He sure is unique. I have found that the only way for me to get good pictures is to either sneak up on them when they're resting, taking pictures while feeding as they wait for the next bit of food, and when letting them flare in the mirror or at another betta.
I saw another picture of him. He is gorgeous!!! I've tried it with all of mine and the little CT girl in my Avatar is the only one who cooperates. Her name is Harley Quinn. Joker, Bruce, and DK (Dark Knight) all flare until they see the camera then they hide. My oldest one (who I just lost yesterday) let me take photos of him sometimes, but they were always blurry.

^Uhhh, okay, so I'm a bit of a Batman fan....Haha.

I imagine I'll be getting more though...I can't stop buying them.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Oh here is a close up of the Seachem Substrate well after it had settled (months after). This is Mr Bigglesworth but the photo really shows the beauty of the substrate!



One of my old females loved it too.

MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #8 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Wow it really looks great and wow those fish are gorgeous too. All of my boys are really pretty, but they're camera shy. My girl still has her fry stripes, so her color has not completely come through. She is more "cute than pretty" at this point.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #9 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
I saw another picture of him. He is gorgeous!!! I've tried it with all of mine and the little CT girl in my Avatar is the only one who cooperates. Her name is Harley Quinn. Joker, Bruce, and DK (Dark Knight) all flare until they see the camera then they hide. My oldest one (who I just lost yesterday) let me take photos of him sometimes, but they were always blurry.

^Uhhh, okay, so I'm a bit of a Batman fan....Haha.

I imagine I'll be getting more though...I can't stop buying them.
I'm loving the names! In fact, I have an Otto (algae eater) in my ten gallon named Bruce! Sorry to hear about your oldest. Its always great to keep on with your passions though. They're never really gone as they stay with you in some way or another.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #10 
callistra
Member
 
callistra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Filling Instructions:
Although pre-washed, Flourite™ should be rinsed before use to remove residual dust.
This needs to be rinsed per instructions by the manufacturer.

If you're not going to keep the filter on all the time then there's really no point in having one, and the bb die off from turning it off after it establishes can cause ammonia spikes, so just be aware.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.