Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #11 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
Wow it really looks great and wow those fish are gorgeous too. All of my boys are really pretty, but they're camera shy. My girl still has her fry stripes, so her color has not completely come through. She is more "cute than pretty" at this point.
Thanks I love sharing photos. They're entertaining and educational.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a young crowntail which took forever for her stripes to disappear. The boys will also pose perfectly for me, in the most natural positions with the foliage behind them, until im about to snap a photo and they dart off. Probably giggling about teasing me haha.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #12 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
This needs to be rinsed per instructions by the manufacturer.

If you're not going to keep the filter on all the time then there's really no point in having one, and the bb die off from turning it off after it establishes can cause ammonia spikes, so just be aware.
Thanks for the info callistra. This was a brand new setup at the time and I used the filter strictly to aid in the removal of dust particles, not to harbor any BB as I had new cartridges for that. My nitrogen cycle was completed long ago and has been in check ever since thankfully. My lack of rinsing hasn't seemed to hinder any natural processes that I am aware of but I wish I had taken more time for that as it would have speed up the cleanliness process. It hasn't hindered plant growth as well :)

I am glad you brought it up though because I wouldn't want people making decisions about the handling of their filter and substrate without knowing the full process of what I chose to do here.

Last edited by MrRomero; 01-20-2013 at 12:33 AM.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #13 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
This needs to be rinsed per instructions by the manufacturer.

If you're not going to keep the filter on all the time then there's really no point in having one, and the bb die off from turning it off after it establishes can cause ammonia spikes, so just be aware.
Haha, I washed it three times and it still came out look like this! I even put some in. a bucket of water and rinised it off before I put it in there, but it's just messy. I still plant on using a filter for a few hours of the day, but then turning it off at the same time I turn off the light. So there would be about 10-12 hours of filter time. Would that be okay?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #14 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
I'm loving the names! In fact, I have an Otto (algae eater) in my ten gallon named Bruce! Sorry to hear about your oldest. Its always great to keep on with your passions though. They're never really gone as they stay with you in some way or another.
Oh yea, I have a snail naed Alfred, too! Of course :P There are so many more possibilities: Harvey, Dent, Gordon, Two-Face, Ivy, Robin---yea I'll be a hoarder and blame it on Batman obssession! That's legit right? HAHA, seriously, I must be bitten by the betta bug because I have gone into Petsmart four times this week and 2 times @ Petco--to buy fish or buy stuff for my fish and my.beloved dog (can't forget her). The sales people know my name and worse, the names of my animals. Aww I used to have an Otto in my Ten gallon,named Otto (I let my niece name it :P), but I had a particularly aggressive mail Veiltale at the time and after a few days....Bye bye Otto. That was a long time ago and I haven't tried a community tank again! Thank you for your condolences. Flare was a 3y/o VT who had a 5 gallon all to himself, but he contracted Dropsy and I kept trying to trat him for other things...But his water was warm and his belly was full. I spent two hours every night trying to feed him Brine shrimp. He went peacefully and I buried him in a jar in the backyard. Even my mother got emotional and came over to bring me some lilly petals to lay in the grave with him. You are right, he will always stay with me. You got Bigglesworth from Thailand correct? His name makes me smile! And he's just breathtaking. Are your other fish from Petstores or are they also imported?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #15 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
I still plant on using a filter for a few hours of the day, but then turning it off at the same time I turn off the light. So there would be about 10-12 hours of filter time. Would that be okay?
As callistra noted, turning it off would kill of the beneficial bacteria in the cartridge. I believe it has to do with the filter continually replenishing the aerobic bacteria with oxygen, ammonia, and nitrite that allow the bacteria to thrive. Turning the filter off would create a stagnant condition in your aquarium which decreases oxygen levels. The bacteria would then die off and ammonia would build quickly creating unsafe conditions for your fish.

Anyhow the point is that filters should be run non-stop 24/7 :)

Also, the filter current and its ability to cleanse the water will really help in the reduction of mulm and detritus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
HAHA, seriously, I must be bitten by the betta bug because I have gone into Petsmart four times this week and 2 times @ Petco--to buy fish or buy stuff for my fish and my.beloved dog (can't forget her). The sales people know my name and worse, the names of my animals.

You got Bigglesworth from Thailand correct? His name makes me smile! And he's just breathtaking. Are your other fish from Petstores or are they also imported?
I too have spent too many hours and dollars at petstores. I love bettas in particular and of course my dog as well!

Yes Mr Bigglesworth is from TMT Betta Farm in Thailand and Hendrix is from Beaver Betta also in Thailand. My other two, Cova and Sgt Aces, are from the local PetCo.

Last edited by MrRomero; 01-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #16 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
As callistra noted, turning it off would kill of the beneficial bacteria in the cartridge. I believe it has to do with the filter continually replenishing the aerobic bacteria with oxygen, ammonia, and nitrite that allow the bacteria to thrive. Turning the filter off would create a stagnant condition in your aquarium which decreases oxygen levels. The bacteria would then die off and ammonia would build quickly creating unsafe conditions for your fish.

Anyhow the point is that filters should be run non-stop 24/7 :)

Also, the filter current and its ability to cleanse the water will really help in the reduction of mulm and detritus.




I too have spent too many hours and dollars at petstores. I love bettas in particular and of course my dog as well!

Yes Mr Bigglesworth is from TMT Betta Farm in Thailand and Hendrix is from Beaver Betta also in Thailand. My other two, Cova and Sgt Aces, are from the local PetCo.
I've been told by others that filters are not necessary in NPT. Haha, ugh, I'm confused!

I am hoping to get a Black Orchid (possibly HM) from a Breeder in a few months, but I imagine I will be getting more from the pet stores soon!

Did you wait until the tank was completely clear before you put the fish in? My tank currently looks a bit clearer than yours did in the last picture. The PH levels, etc are all consistent, the filter is running, the temperature is 80, and the plants seems to be doing well now that I've purchased a plant light. There is still lots of silt on the plants, etc, but otherwise the conditions seem good.

Last edited by Mal72; 01-21-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #17 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
It's your call but personally I wouldn't put fish in just yet. I wouldn't want particles rubbing against their eyes and getting trapped in their gills. I may be wrong about the gills though, but better safe than sorry.

I had a layer of silt on my leaves as well. What worked for me was to wait till the water became clear, then I reached in and gently rubbed the leaves clean. It didn't cause any problems at all. I certainly would not recommend using a gravel siphon to clean off the leaves. I've done this and slightly tore one of the leaves which thankfully has since grown back.

Good Luck, and post pics of that orchid when the time comes. Black orchids have always been an interest of mine.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #18 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
I've been told by others that filters are not necessary in NPT. Haha, ugh, I'm confused!
I completely disagree with that. Whoever mentioned that may have been referring to the fact that plants help control the water conditions as they utilize ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite in the water. This does not mean that a planted tank doesn't need a filter even if it's heavily planted. The lack of water cleansing (as I like to call it) and lack of current in the aquarium will allow detritus to build up which is very unsightly. This is what happened to me with a 5 gallon planted tank, using Seachem gravel, and no filter (Just weekly water changes).
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #19 
Mal72
Member
 
Mal72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Always one step ahead (St. Aug, Fl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomero View Post
It's your call but personally I wouldn't put fish in just yet. I wouldn't want particles rubbing against their eyes and getting trapped in their gills. I may be wrong about the gills though, but better safe than sorry.

I had a layer of silt on my leaves as well. What worked for me was to wait till the water became clear, then I reached in and gently rubbed the leaves clean. It didn't cause any problems at all. I certainly would not recommend using a gravel siphon to clean off the leaves. I've done this and slightly tore one of the leaves which thankfully has since grown back.

Good Luck, and post pics of that orchid when the time comes. Black orchids have always been an interest of mine.
That's what I thought, but I'll have to post a picture of the tank when I get a chance. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it has been 4 days.

I will definitely show him off! I think they are gorgeous. One of my halfmoons (Dark Knight) actually displays a very similar pattern--he is black and he has teal/green lines running down his tail and some irresdescence to his body, as well. They are too random to be considered a Black Orchid pattern though and his body is not really true black. He is very pretty himself, but he is very skittish--unlike the other fish he does not come out to greet me during feeding time. The only thing that seems to bug him is if I stare at the bubble nest too long. He looks up and sort of stares dead at me (under his plant) as if to say, "Can I HELP you?" Haha. He is such a grump.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #20 
MrRomero
New Member
 
MrRomero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
That's what I thought, but I'll have to post a picture of the tank when I get a chance. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it has been 4 days.

I will definitely show him off! I think they are gorgeous. One of my halfmoons (Dark Knight) actually displays a very similar pattern--he is black and he has teal/green lines running down his tail and some irresdescence to his body, as well. They are too random to be considered a Black Orchid pattern though and his body is not really true black. He is very pretty himself, but he is very skittish--unlike the other fish he does not come out to greet me during feeding time. The only thing that seems to bug him is if I stare at the bubble nest too long. He looks up and sort of stares dead at me (under his plant) as if to say, "Can I HELP you?" Haha. He is such a grump.
That's awesome, I can really picture the personality this guy has. Pics would be great! Now maybe you can see why I used the HOB filter (pre-filter not attached) to help clear the water quicker. It really works as long as you have new filter cartridges ready to replace the soiled one.
MrRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.