Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #11 
callistra

Glad he's perked up :)

Ph is fine. Ammonia is still showing a need for another water change. So 2-3 more 50% should do it. You can do one more in a bit today and another tomorrow. At that point I would expect to see 0 ammonia.

Make sure you are using water that is preheated. The easiest way to do this is by running the tap to the same temp as the tank (use the thermometer from the tank) should feel slightly cool to the inside of your wrist.. get it there first then fine tune with thermometer. From there you can fill up jugs/buckets/whatever you use, add the conditioner and then put it in the tank. That will avoid any shock to the shrimp or betta.

I'm not sure what size your tank is? In a standard 5 gallon any would work. I think the 2 gallon critter keepers make nice QTs personally and you can keep a lid on but anything acrylic that fits inside that's around that size should be ok.

He's really pretty btw :) Love the yellow.

Last edited by callistra; 01-19-2013 at 03:45 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #12 
wmuav8tor

I actually just noticed one of my shrimp is "inspecting" what looks to be some poop on the bottom of my tank, its yellowish in color and is aprox 1/8" in size, its kinda a blob shape (if I had to guess i'd say it actually looks kinda like the pea I fed him yesterday) He really got scared during the water change and was darting all over the tank frantically for about 10 minutes so maybe in all that rush he pooped the pea remains out. His belly is back to normal size now but since it has bloated and unbloated several times in the last few days I am going to keep my excitement down until 24-48 hours have passed with no more bloating.

I actually have to leave soon to go pick up my sister from college so that she can come home for the weekend and wont be back until after midnight so I think I'll wait and do the 2nd water change tomorrow morning as soon as I wake up and then i'll do another one tomorrow afternoon sometime if still needed.

I do use preheated water, I have never used the thermometer to check the temperature before adding to the tank but I do use my wrist to check the water, so far the temperature has never fluctuated after adding water but the thermometer idea is a good idea that I didnt think of.

My tank is here (I bought it at Petco) http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...arium-kit.html

I could be limited on what I can float in the tank because the filter takes up half of the top of the tank and the other half is the light fixture but i'm sure I could figure something out. in worst case scenario I could just put the new heater in the QT tank until I'm ready to move him back to the main tank I suppose (if it would fit).

I might leave a bit early and stop at the pet store and see what they have in stock. The pet store is a hour away from my home but its in the direction i'm traveling tonight. If I cant get there before they close i'll just buy the heater and critter keeper from Amazon.

Thank you :) My mom just walked into my room just as my Betta flared at his reflection and she screamed "OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!" she was so thrilled (she has never seen him flare before lol) Your Betta in your avatar is beautiful as well :)

One final good sign, my Betta has learned that when I open the top of the tank it usually means feeding time so he goes darting to the surface under the hatch anytime I open it. He hasnt done that at all the last 3 days but I just went and opened it and he darted right to it and began waiting for food to drop. I'm going to wait to feed him though till he is symptom free for at least a day.
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #13 
callistra

That does sound like the pea. Use a turkey baster or something like that to remove it from the bottom as it will muck up the water quickly.

That's a lot more narrow than a regular 5.. which is wider than tall. You'll just have to see what fits. You could just use another heater to heat up the QT.. that works too. Make sure to use a thermometer.

Sounds like he's definitely much happier now :) With him perked up so much I expect he won't need actual meds. We'll see.

The Epsoms can be found at human pharmacy.. CVS carries it but also most grocery stores.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #14 
wmuav8tor

The petstore didnt have any of those heaters in stock (they do sell one of them, but it was sold out) So I ordered both a critter carrier and a heater that you suggested online, it should be here in a few days.

He has been swimming around all morning happily, he is kinda bloated again now but nowhere near what he was before. I'll keep doing water changes and keep an eye on him, if he is still having issues when they new heater and critter carrier arrive then i'll go ahead and get that all set up for him and move him to that and get him started on the Epsom salt treatment

Thank you so much again for all of your help and advice :)
wmuav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote