Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #1 
majesticstorm

Something to be concerned about?

So I've noticed him occasionally darting against objects such as the terra cotta pot. He puts the side of his face right up against the object and makes a quick dart from it. He's done this since I got him. Is it parasites? He doesn't do it every day, but when he does, he does it 2-3 times in the day. Should I do something about it, or is it just him being himself?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 4 pellets each time, fast once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60% and a 100% monthly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime/Stress coat depending on the situation (tail biting situation), IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite:--
Nitrate:--
pH: 8.0
Hardness:--
Alkalinity: --

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Nothing in particular, still flaring, fins are not clamped, vibrant colors.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? occasionally darts against objects such as the terra cotta pot. When he goes to take a breath he'll spit out one or two small bubbles as he's swimming (not making a bubble nest).
When did you start noticing the symptoms? since I first got him (around a month ago)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing 6-8 months? I got him a little over a month ago at petco.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 
callistra

Your 50% water change is good for a fully cycled tank. Also need a gravel vac/siphon along with the weekly change and not just take water off the top. You shouldn't have to ever do 100% change though. How long has the tank been set up with fish or other ammonia supply? Cycling takes up to 2 months to complete. Before then more water changes will be needed, by testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing a 50% change any time you see as little as .25ppm of either. What's the nitrite and nitrate levels? Drops kit is needed as strips are inaccurate.

Do you have any live plants in the tank?

He is displaying signs of parasite issues.. or ammonia issues can cause that too. Does he have any red/brown on his gills? Can you see any small white specs on him like salt? When you put a flashlight on him do you see a gold dust? Photos would be helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #3 
majesticstorm

No, I don't have a filter hence the 100%, and yes I siphon the gravel during every water change. My readings were done with a drop kit. Didn't think nitrate/nitrites were needed since I don't have a filter.

I have 2 marimo moss balls in there, but that's it.

No red/brown on gills. No white specs like salt, and no gold dust with flashlight (at least, I don't think so). Here's some pictures (just taken). The last two is with a flashlight shone on him.

The pink splotch is dried up water that's on the outside on the tank, not on him.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 
callistra

Sorry missed that. Well in that case you need 100% weekly change, imo. I've done a lot of testing with 5g tanks and water changes and although I've seen that suggested here on the forum the way you are doing it, my personal testing has shown it's not enough. I've also always seen it suggested more elsewhere, including in the other sticky on this forum. When was the last time you did the monthly water change?

Well I don't see any signs of ick and his head is probably just a normal coloring. It looks very healthy to me, but the flashing is not normal. I'd temporarily remove the moss balls (They'd do fine in even a gallon bowl at room temp) and just try a conservative salt treatment for 10 days, including slowly raising temp to 86F( one degree pre hour and no more than 5 degrees per day). I would continue to leave the tank that hot a week past the last sign of flashing. I would expect this to stop the flashing and won't cause him stress.

Last edited by callistra; 01-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
majesticstorm

Thanks Callistra! Well, this is the 2nd week that I'm back at the dorm so I haven't done the monthly water change yet. To be honest, I did more than a 50-60% water change this week, it was more like 80%...but I didn't do more because I was having trouble getting water out as the water level was getting closer and close to to the bottom. But I will do 100% weekly now (or get as close to 100% as I can) :)

Hm...how would I go about introducing the AQ salt? Would I take out a gallon of water, add 1-2 teaspoons in there, mix thoroughly, and slowly add it in and then repeat after a while?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

What does his poo look like? My Betta was flashing against ornaments when he had internal parasites... Shortly after these symptoms, he also had buoyancy issues.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #7 
majesticstorm

His poo looks normal, not white/clear/stringy. It's been a little over a month and he hasn't had buoyancy issues at all, just the occasional flashing.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #8 
callistra

It shouldn't need a full gallon to dissolve but some amount of water and let it mix in well, then add. I always just add mine at once and haven't had issues, but if you wanted to add it slowly over an hour that wouldn't hurt.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

I would go ahead with the AQ salt, then. Predissolve it, of course, and introduce it slowly. You can dissolve it in a small cup of tank water and slowly add it. I would not treat for longer than 10 days... And see if he improves in that time.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #10 
majesticstorm

Thanks :) I'll do this tonight, if I finish my lab report by then, that is, hahaha... T^T