lf0210

Change the water!!
lf0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #22 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lf0210 View Post
Change the water!!
They did, completely and scrubbed everything down completely. Changing the water again this soon isn't going to help at all.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #23 
sainthogan

Algae isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just ugly looking. They are, however, a very light dependent plant. You can cut back on algae growth by limiting the daily light exposure to the tank. If it has access to sunlight, cover it for a while each day. How long are you leaving the tank lights on? If it's a very long time, turn it off a few hours earlier each day and/or turn them on a little later each day.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #24 
ilikefishyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
With a filter you don't do 100%s because of that good bacteria, because it also grows on the gravel and ornaments. How long do you leave the lights on?
i usually clean it with tap water that i treat with a little bit of conditioner, also i leave the lights on from like 6:30 am to around 9 pm...is this too long? also my fish isn't eating ! i dont know what to do! also you know in the picture i'm not sure who commented on it, but they said his back looks arched, it's still like that and is that abnormal ?
ilikefishyys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, an arched back is abnormal... I believe Callistra said that. I don't know exactly what that means, but the only Betta I have ever seen with an arched back like that had extremely bad fin rot and was missing most of his fins, so I'm assuming that Betta was swimming strangely because he had almost no fins...

And yes, that is way too long to leave the lights on. You only want them on for 8-12 hours a day. I personally leave mine on for ten and I have a light timer so they turn on and off on their own if I'm not around at a normal time. They need to turn on and off at around the same time each day to establish a good day and night cycle. Also, bettas don't have eyelids so they can't really sleep with the lights on. Not enough sleep can cause stress. Your tank is likely growing algae because of the light schedule...

I know some people aren't around a lot to be able to turn the lights on and off at a consistent schedule. I purchased a light timer for my four tanks with two plug ins that was $8 from Menards, and I got one with only one plug in for my brothers single tank for $4.

If you are cleaning it with conditioned tap water you may not have hurt your cycle too much, but cleaning it with unconditioned tap water would kill your good bacteria and cause an ammonia spike as they died off.. Partial water changes with a siphon are all you will need for a filtered tank, and the cycle will eventually complete itself as long as there is a fish in it..

Edit: btw, has he improved after the water change color wise? When was the last water change? Try leaving the lights off longer and see if he improves. When I put my fish to bed but people are still awake with the room lights on, I cover the front of the tank to keep light out to help them sleep. This may be stress from both not changing the water enough and not getting enough sleep.

I would do two 50%s a week from now on since we don't know if your tank is cycled. Do you have a test kit? (50%s should not take you as long as 100%s, I'm able to do mine in less than 10 minutes). You may want to try different foods. How is he acting, now?

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 01-21-2013 at 11:50 AM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #26 
ilikefishyys

his fins do look a little torn but they always are like that and when they grow back they tear a little again but anyway, my last clean was yesterday and i think his blue is coming back a little

unfortunately, i've tried so many foods and he only likes this one specific one but he hasn't been eating lately. Also, he keeps hanging out by heater, and last night the way he was sleeping i thought he was dead ! i got so scared but then i tapped the tank and he swam thank God. I'll start doing more cleans and turning the light off a lot earlier, thank you so much! Why do you think hes been hanging out by the heater? the temperature hasn't changed...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #27 
ilikefishyys

oh my goodness, i'm so worried i think my fish has finrot
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

He may have from ammonia since the water wasn't changes for 3 weeks.. Does he have black tips? My Betta likes to sleep behind the filter. He's probably just found a resting spot that he likes. But what is the temp of the tank?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #29 
ilikefishyys

he used to have black tips and now the fins just look kind of ripped and the temp is about 75, i have a thermometer and it has a green section from like 60-80 on it and the temp is in the middle of that and is almost always that temp
Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

The water really should be at least 78 degrees.

Torn fins is not fin rot. It could be him tearing his fins on decorations... What decor do you have in the tank? It could also be fin biting.