Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #1 
SeaSerpent

Water temperature while changing tank water

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm thinking about buying a betta soon. I have a question though. I know that betta's require a heater and I intend to get one, but what happens when you have to change the tank water? You need to remove the betta to change the water so if I only have one heater I'm afraid I may kill the betta with a sudden temperature change. My sister used to put her betta in a cup while the new tank water sat for awhile. Sorry if the question's been answered somewhere else and I've missed it or something.
SeaSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #2 
babystarz

I usually stick a thermometer in the stream of my tap water and match the temp to the tank so there won't be a temperature difference :) There is no need to let the water sit as long as you're using a water conditioner (Prime is the best brand), as it works instantly and removes chlorine and chloramines, which is the reason people used to let water sit.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #3 
callistra

What size tank are you getting? Are you going to have it filtered and cycling it, or doing 100% weekly changes, or more?

Cup the betta (like a plastic solo cup), set him aside and wrap him in a towl to keep the heat of the water in the cup.

Use the tank thermometer under the running tap to match the exact temperature of the tank and fill it up that way. I still always float bettas in the water an hour and add a couple tablespoons of the new water every 10 minutes before I add him back in.. letting as little of the old cup water in as possible.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 
SeaSerpent

I don't have a lot of room for a large tank where I live so I am gonna get one around 2 gallons. I'm also planning on changing the water myself by just keeping some and adding the new water. Good idea with the towel though I think I'll do that. I was thinking of getting a thermometer, but using the one in the tank is also a good idea.

One other question though. If I use tank conditioner how quickly does that work? Also I was told that the water needs to be oxygenated by letting it sit, but then again bettas have to breathe from the surface so maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks for replies guys!
SeaSerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSerpent View Post
I don't have a lot of room for a large tank where I live so I am gonna get one around 2 gallons. I'm also planning on changing the water myself by just keeping some and adding the new water. Good idea with the towel though I think I'll do that. I was thinking of getting a thermometer, but using the one in the tank is also a good idea.

One other question though. If I use tank conditioner how quickly does that work? Also I was told that the water needs to be oxygenated by letting it sit, but then again bettas have to breathe from the surface so maybe it doesn't matter.
You're correct, oxygenation is not a concern for bettas. The conditioner will work right away, and will be thoroughly mixed into the water in seconds. So there's no need to wait at all before adding the water to the tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #6 
callistra

It depends on what you use but good conditioner will work immediately.. I would stir the water up a bit to spread it through the water.

2 gallons will require two changes a week - one 50% mid week and one 100% at week's end. The 100% should include a rinsing of the gravel. If you don't want to have to empty the tank you need a 5G+ with gravel siphon, filter and drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to cycle it. More water changes will be needed while it's cycling, but once it's cycled a weekly change + gravel vac of 50% would be ok.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changing, tank, temperature, water