Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #1 
candymoon

Rips in my Betta's fins!

Hey there! Well recently my boy has been getting rips in his fins. They were not all that bad at first, but after a while they have gotten a lot worse as you can see from the picture. I removed one of the columns he had in his tank thinking that, even though they were not that rough, it might be the source. I am going to remove the other one tomorrow. He also has a metal thermometer, but I don't think that could be doing it either. Anyways, he is still acting healthy. Eating his food and puffing out at me, though I am not sure about his activity level since I have a SUPER busy schedule this term and am not back in my dorm till 10 each night. But anyways, what can I do to help him repair his fins? I have some medicine meant to heal fins called Bettafix, but I don't want to give him medicine if he is not acting sick...so, any advice? I just want to get him back to his healthy little self.

Also, I hope it is ok I am posting in the care forum. I just did not want to post in the emergencies since it is not a true emergency...though I do want to get him fixed up soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by candymoon; 01-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
candymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 
Luimeril

looks like a combination of blowing his fins(over flaring and ripping them), and tail biting.
do NOT use bettafix. x: i've only heard bad things about it. personally, for my tail issues(and i've had LOTS in the four years i've kept bettas), i just keep the water clean. add a little aquarium salt(one teaspoon per gallon of water, premix it in a cup of water-i use warm water to help it dissolve better, some use tank water, then add it slowly to his tank. i pour a little at a time over the course of an hour or so) if you wanna, but i don't.
tannins from Indian Almond Leaves, naturally dried and fallen oak leaves, or things like blackwater extract or betta spa will help his fins heal up, as well.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #3 
candymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
looks like a combination of blowing his fins(over flaring and ripping them), and tail biting.
do NOT use bettafix. x: i've only heard bad things about it. personally, for my tail issues(and i've had LOTS in the four years i've kept bettas), i just keep the water clean. add a little aquarium salt(one teaspoon per gallon of water, premix it in a cup of water-i use warm water to help it dissolve better, some use tank water, then add it slowly to his tank. i pour a little at a time over the course of an hour or so) if you wanna, but i don't.
tannins from Indian Almond Leaves, naturally dried and fallen oak leaves, or things like blackwater extract or betta spa will help his fins heal up, as well.
Ok, thank you!
So should I use the aquarium salt and betta spa at the same time? Or just one or the other?
Also, I have been hearing a lot about Indian Almond Leaves and I have been wanting/needing to get some. Do you know of a good site were I can get some nice quality ones? I'm just a little hesitant to buy them from anywhere since I have heard things about infections when buying foreign stuff for your fish.
And finally, how can I help prevent him from tail biting and all that?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i honestly don't know. i use the almond leaves. i've heard the spa has salt in it, so you might want to check the label first. x:

ebay's a good place. one seller sells some good leaves for about $6 or so. i forget her name, though. i bought some from her, and i adore them. i rinse them first, just because my OCD won't let me just stick them in the tank. some people make their own tea/spa from them, though, so check around this site for recipes. :B

to stop the biting.... you want to find out WHY he's doing it. i've had bettas bite from boredom, stress from seeing other bettas, stress from NOT seeing other bettas(as odd as it sounds!), stress from lack of water changes(while i was sick x-x), just because they could....
it varies from fish to fish. to start, you could add more decorations, and/or rearrange the decor at every water change. how big is his tank, and how often do you change his water? can he see other bettas at all?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #5 
candymoon

Quote:
i honestly don't know. i use the almond leaves. i've heard the spa has salt in it, so you might want to check the label first. x:

ebay's a good place. one seller sells some good leaves for about $6 or so. i forget her name, though. i bought some from her, and i adore them. i rinse them first, just because my OCD won't let me just stick them in the tank. some people make their own tea/spa from them, though, so check around this site for recipes. :B

to stop the biting.... you want to find out WHY he's doing it. i've had bettas bite from boredom, stress from seeing other bettas, stress from NOT seeing other bettas(as odd as it sounds!), stress from lack of water changes(while i was sick x-x), just because they could....
it varies from fish to fish. to start, you could add more decorations, and/or rearrange the decor at every water change. how big is his tank, and how often do you change his water? can he see other bettas at all?
Ok! I will try and make it to petco tomorrow. If not do you think it can wait till Friday? If not I could skip a meal. Like I said...I have been so crazy busy lately I've hardly had time to observe him. It makes me feel so bad. >.< But f I can find the spa before the leaves you think it would be ok?

I usually rearrange the decor at every 100% change. But I could do it at every one if you think it would help. His tanks is three gallons and I do 50% water changes every Wednesday and Saturday with a 100% water change every two weeks. And no, I have no other bettas.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #6 
Luimeril

of course it can wait. :B just keep his water a little extra clean, if you can.

he might be able to see his reflection... idk how your tank is set up, how the lighting is, ect. Cup was my fin-blower. he'd flare at EVERYTHING(i *swear* he flared at sounds!), and would often rip his fins up from over flaring.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #7 
candymoon

Quote:
of course it can wait. :B just keep his water a little extra clean, if you can.

he might be able to see his reflection... idk how your tank is set up, how the lighting is, ect. Cup was my fin-blower. he'd flare at EVERYTHING(i *swear* he flared at sounds!), and would often rip his fins up from over flaring.
Bellerophon is the same way! My roommate and I just look at him and he flares. He has even flared at his food!
I was a little worried about him seeing his reflection when I first got his 3 gal tank. I have had it for a while now, I think since maybe...October? November? But it might be an issue since all of it is see through, even the lid. I try and keep his tank dim since I know Bettas like dimmer light, but yeah...I could buy a backdrop? I heard that helps keep things from reflecting? I have a folder set up now for him to keep it dark so he can't see us and wont flare. And I told my roommate to try and keep from agitating him till I get him fixed up.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #8 
Luimeril

i have a 1.5 that's clear all the way around. but, it could be lighting. try a backdrop for a bit, see if he gets any new rips.

personally, i let bettas do their own things. Cup was always ripping his fins, so i just changed his water a little more often than the others. but not TOO often, because he got floaty after them once he got up in age. x:
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #9 
candymoon

Quote:
i have a 1.5 that's clear all the way around. but, it could be lighting. try a backdrop for a bit, see if he gets any new rips.

personally, i let bettas do their own things. Cup was always ripping his fins, so i just changed his water a little more often than the others. but not TOO often, because he got floaty after them once he got up in age. x:
I put up a piece of printer paper since I heard that light colored backgrounds help prevent reflection. I also added a new plant to where he usually seems to see his reflection. I am going to try and find a little thing he can hide in too, if I can find one that has soft enough edges. >.<
And I ordered the betta spa today since I could not find it anywhere locally. I am going to add aquarium salt for now since it will take a week for the spa stuff to get here. Then next Saturday when it arrives I shall give him a 100% change and then add the betta spa. And hopefully he will be back to better in no time. :]