759 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MaisyDawgThirteen 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank?: 10 gal. divided 3 ways
What temperature is your tank?: 76
Does your tank have a filter?: yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: no
Is your tank heated?: yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: he's alone in his section but it's divided 3 ways for 2 other bettas and 2 nearite snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Aqueon Betta Food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?: twice per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: about 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: my kit doesn't have a test for nitrates
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? All day he is hiding in the back corner of his section behind the plants. sometimes at the bottom and sometimes at the top. I can't get a good look at him because of the plants, divider, and tank background.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when he didn't come up for food
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in July.So 6 months

See less See more
#4 ·
You have a pretty heavy stock for a 10g considering how dirty snails are. I would go ahead and do another couple 50% water changes over the next two days.

Do you also use a gravel vac/siphon? Your changes should include this and not just pulling water off the top.

It's important to get a good luck at him and photos would be helpful.

#6 ·
callistra- Do you think maybe my nitrates are high? I don't know why my test kit didn't come with a bottle for nitrates. I just did a WC and gravel vac. I'll see how it goes. Fishie did come up and eat right after that, though, so that's a good sign.

madmonohan- yeah, I have my 25 watt heater turned up to 87 but the temp stays at 76. I'll try to put a second heater in there and see if that works better.

#7 ·
It's possible. I would increase water changes to at least 50% weekly with vac, if not add a second smaller one mid week. A test for nitrates wouldn't be a bad idea.. I'd use a drops kit and be careful with the test as there are extra shaking steps in common ones.

25w heater is not enough for a 10g. You can add a second 25w or get a 50w. Is it fully adjustable or one of those preset ones? If it's just a preset one I'd replace it.

Can you get a photo of your guy and describe any physical symptoms?

#8 ·
I agree with callisrtra on the heater situation. Since the wattage is low, I would assume the temperature is going up and down, which in turn causes stress which may be why he is lethargic. I would use a 50watt if I were you, but if you go for a cheaper, lower quality brand such as top fin go for a 100w. My 100w top fin adjustable heater heats my 10 gallon great! But try maybe a 40-50% weekly, I don't think any mid week changes are necessary. Remember that nerite snails have a low bio load compared to others. Try adding some fast growing cheap floating live plants such as hornwort or water wisteria. They do not require special lighting or fertilizers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.