Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 
Silverfang

What kind of sand?

So, I finally have a small light outfitted with a 6500k bulb. I want to set up a small npt in my two 2.5 G's. They are the standard rectangle Marineland 2.5G's. I have both silica sand and play sand. Wondering which I should use.

I'm thinking a crypt, a small anubis or two. Perhaps some hair grass (if it can be convinced to grow without CO2). And a bunch of stems. If I can find a small piece of wood I'll add some moss.

I'm guessing no more than an inch of sand, mostly due to the small size of the tank. Any other suggestions? I'll toss in a few trumpets and a few small cherries. I have a thriving colony with at least 4 berried females at all times. So even if they get chomped on, well I'll have tried.

Planning on going in on an order from Aquamagic, so lots of choices of things I can pick up. Including fun types of moss :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In my npt I tore down I used plain top soil with a gravel cap. I've never heard of the other sand but I know many people use play sand.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
babystarz

Play sand is fine, I've used it in a few tanks, but I personally prefer Quikrete's Fine Grain silica sand. It doesn't need to be washed before use, and if you put a plate or cup down on the sand and fill the water onto it, the sand doesn't move at all. And if you accidentally get the water flow off the plate, it settles back down immediately. Nice stuff ^^ But sand is sand. So whatever you like best will work.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote