Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #1 
Bettafish

algae cleaners

I visit petco and petsmart today but all i could find was assasin and mystery snails.
also bamboo (most likely not what i need) and ghoast shrimp.

what i really need is something that can clean the danged algae off of my plants and hard to get places on my tank
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I visit petco and petsmart today but all i could find was assasin and mystery snails.
also bamboo (most likely not what i need) and ghoast shrimp.

what i really need is something that can clean the danged algae off of my plants and hard to get places on my tank
you can use a turkey baster to loosen it and vacuum it because if it covers the substrate, it may affect plant growth.

snail and amano shrimps are selective in the algae they eat. my Mystery Snail Yo does a sloopy job eating off the hair algae.

also put some excel in the tank, no lights for 2 days help with the clean up by snails and shrimps.

right now i have a fishless tank cos my Petco rescue Curious Grace is in QT and I am waiting for other girls to come it. So maybe that explains my algae, it's not bad, just the first time I observe some.
My amano shrimps look busy eating something, but i still have algae on my moss ball. best is to vacuum and clean and use a scraper or brush to get the algae off.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Don't just randomly squirt Excel in the tank - mostly, that will just encourage growth of most plants and kill others (anacharis, for instance). If you are using it to get rid of hair algae, you need to use a syringe to target the algae.

Otherwise, the most effective algae cleaner is still unfortunately the human hand and an algae sponge (or fingernails).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Don't just randomly squirt Excel in the tank - mostly, that will just encourage growth of most plants and kill others (anacharis, for instance). If you are using it to get rid of hair algae, you need to use a syringe to target the algae.

Otherwise, the most effective algae cleaner is still unfortunately the human hand and an algae sponge (or fingernails).
Yes, I pour the excel in the area where the hair algae grows on the hygrophila and Marimo moss, the anacharis are floaters in the other side of the tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 
Kiara1125

I would suggest getting a nerite snail or red cherry shrimp. They both eat algae. You could also get some otos to eat the algae.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote