Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question Cycle Update

So i did a thread recently about my cycling 21 gallon and was recommended to not do WC for a week.

I did that and tested the water today. I got 0 ammonia!
So that means one of the BB is all set up!

Now for nitrites and nitrates. I tested and both water are crystal clear... Does this mean there's an error somewhere?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #2 
shellieca

Refresh my memory; How long has the tank been cycling & do you have fish in it? What test kit; API Freshwater liquid? When you say crystal clear, there's no color, not even the test safe colors? If using the API kit, The nitrites should be blue & nitrates yellow if they're 0. Make sure you're using BOTH bottles in the correct order for the nitrate test & that you are really shaking bottle #2, banging it against the palm of your hand or the counter before using it. If your readings are correct then weekly water changes are fine, just keep testing to make sure the water stays safe in between. If it stays as it is for a couple of weeks then you can probably test less. IMO, you should have at least some nitrAtes, mine is always very low but there's some there.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #3 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Refresh my memory; How long has the tank been cycling & do you have fish in it? What test kit; API Freshwater liquid? When you say crystal clear, there's no color, not even the test safe colors? If using the API kit, The nitrites should be blue & nitrates yellow if they're 0. Make sure you're using BOTH bottles in the correct order for the nitrate test & that you are really shaking bottle #2, banging it against the palm of your hand or the counter before using it. If your readings are correct then weekly water changes are fine, just keep testing to make sure the water stays safe in between. If it stays as it is for a couple of weeks then you can probably test less. IMO, you should have at least some nitrAtes, mine is always very low but there's some there.
Cycling for 2 months and ahalf with 2 plattys and 3 small female bettas. Using the nutrafin mini master test kit. When i say crystal clear i mean they are to 0 so ammonia is safe. Im shaking the nitrate bottle for 30 seconds as it says
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
If using the API kit, The nitrites should be blue & nitrates yellow if they're 0. Make sure you're using BOTH bottles in the correct order for the nitrate test & that you are really shaking bottle #2, banging it against the palm of your hand or the counter before using it.
Re: Nitrate test
I think you also need to shake the solution in the test tube after putting in the 10 drops of Bottle 2 for 1 minute and wait for results in 5 mins.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #5 
WhiskeyHands

oh i thought it was 5 drops

Tags
cycle, update