Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #1 
Toaster11

Cycling Kit

So I just bought a 10 gallon tank today. I have done a lot of reading about cycling tanks lately and then I found this kit that sets up your tank easier. Microbe-Lift: Aquarium Cycling & Water Conditioning Kit. Anyone ever used this before? Just put it in the tank and I will see how it goes. It says I can had fish right after I add the bacteria and nitrifying bacteria. I am afraid of this not working. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #2 
callistra

Most stuff like this doesn't work. I've only found one that does.

You need a reliable drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Be testing daily and do a 50% change any time you see as little as .25ppm ammonia or nitrite. In addition to this a weekly 50% change including gravel siphon is needed. You will see a spike in ammonia first, then nitrite. Ammonia will stick at 0 first followed by nitrite. Eventually the once weekly change will be all you need to keep nitrates under 20ppm. The bacteria may speed up the cycle some.. or not.. cycling can take up to 2 months.

ETA: I see nothing on the kit about removing heavy metals.. if it's not there you need a different conditioner. That one's not good.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #3 
Toaster11

Thanks for the help. I do not have a siphon yet. I will get one tomorrow. I was wondering if I could put my one and only betta in the 10 gallon while using this cycle kit? I bought a master test kit so I was planning on testing daily. I can keep my 1.5 gallon tank set up so if there is a problem I will just transfer the betta back in there.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 
callistra

You can do a fish in cycle if you want, but you need to be really careful about testing and keeping ammonia and nitrite levels as low as possible. I still suggest a fishless cycle and leave your betta in what he's in now until the new one cycles, but it's up to you. If you do a fishless cycle it's different than fish in so let us know if you choose to do that instead.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 
Toaster11

Okay I am too scared to lose this little guy. I will follow the cycle sticky on here and go the shrimp method. I accidentally bought cooked shrimp instead of raw ones.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 
DiiQue

Cycling isn't really all that hard if you are just going to keep one betta. Since you have the master test kit, you should be fine with monitoring your water params. If you havent already, read OFL's excellent Nitrogen cycle thread. Cycling using the fish in method with one betta is far easier than people make them out to be... Better than the raw shrimp, as most who use that method say it gets really messy.

I've used the Tetra Safestart and it cycled my tank in 3-4 days. Good luck!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #7 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Cycling isn't really all that hard if you are just going to keep one betta. Since you have the master test kit, you should be fine with monitoring your water params. If you havent already, read OFL's excellent Nitrogen cycle thread. Cycling using the fish in method with one betta is far easier than people make them out to be... Better than the raw shrimp, as most who use that method say it gets really messy.

I've used the Tetra Safestart and it cycled my tank in 3-4 days. Good luck!
That's what I thought. I think I will try this out. I will be super careful and make sure to check the water once if not twice daily.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #8 
Toaster11

one more question...

So I put my one betta in the 10 gallon tank. Should I add my aquarium salt while my tank is cycling?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The only reason to use aquarium salt is to treat finrot or injuries Some experienced keepers don't even use it at all. Do not use it as a regular additive.

MicrobeLift NiteOut II is among the few products that contain the proper bacteria that produce the nitrogen cycle. (Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira). Safestatr Dr Tim's One and Only, TLC Smartstart, ATM Colony are others.

Everyone here knows I am not usually an advocate of fish-in cycling. But a closely-monitored 10gal is as safe as you can get. A 50% weekly water change will probably suffice, and is a schedule that you will continue forever, even if you decide to add other stock.

I read the MicrobeLift info page. I recommend using only the NiteOut II product. With only one Betta in the tank, you won't need the biological breakdown feature of Special Blend. You definitely don't want to use the KH booster. In fact, you never want to mess with your hardness or pH. Your fish will adapt.

Test water every few days. Get some live plants, especially floaters.

Last edited by Hallyx; 01-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 
Toaster11

Thanks for the help everyone. i hope one day I will be able to help out newbies like me.