Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #11 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
It's okay for your tap to be a little above 7. Bettas can acclimate to a wide variety of ph but the swings are really hard on them. If they swing wide enough or fast enough they can even be lethal.

Tiger barbs in a 3.5g? Sorry to bring this to your attention but those require at least a 20g and large schools.

Sometimes fish stores give incomplete or bad advice.. unfortunately it's rather common.
I found that out since then , which is partly the reason I switched to betta, but now that isn't even going well for me. At this point I am going to try and save my current betta with your advice, and if I can't save him then I will scrap my 3.5 setup and save up to get a 30 gallon setup...start over. I never imagined the learning curve for this would be so steep...

Thanks for the advice!
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #12 
sainthogan

Bettas actually do better in higher ph than lower. Anything lower than 7 can be lethal. Conditioner is good practice, but unless the ph is over 8 in your water, you don't really need a neutralizer, just a conditioner that removes heavy metals and doesn't lower ph.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #13 
callistra

Actually bettas are okay in slightly acidic water the problem with this water is it's low kh which can cause ph swings which are lethal, not the ph itself. Bettas are actually soft water fish, but really anything between about 6.5-8.5 is okay and can be adapted to.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #14 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Actually bettas are okay in slightly acidic water the problem with this water is it's low kh which can cause ph swings which are lethal, not the ph itself. Bettas are actually soft water fish, but really anything between about 6.5-8.5 is okay and can be adapted to.
That's good to know, I was just going on information I found on another website. It's amazing how much conflicting information is out there. It's no wonder the original poster is so frustrated.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #15 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Amazingly my betta made it through the night and still is acting extremely werid. So I did a 35% water change this morning, but his still looks pretty bad.

The one thing I did notice that I did not before is that he does not "flap" his left front fin unless it is absolutly nessecary. He keeps it close to his body as much as possible.

EDIT: I have to go to work today for a while, hopefully he is still kicking when I get home.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
The one thing I did notice that I did not before is that he does not "flap" his left front fin unless it is absolutly nessecary. He keeps it close to his body as much as possible.
Mine will do that if he isn't feeling well, especially if he has a stomach issue like constipation. The first time I saw it, I thought he was paralyzed or something! But once he started feeling OK, he started moving normally again.

Has he pooped recently? If so, what color was it?

Quote:
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, but has hardly eaten since I got him
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Neutral Regulator, and freshwater aquarium salt
Ammonia: a but above normal, but not extreme.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? ???Had him for less than a week
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 days from purchase.
Don't worry about him not eating right now. They can go quite awhile without food (more than a week). And if he's not feeling well, he may not want to eat.

Is there a reason that you're adding aquarium salt? Bettas are sensitive to salt.

The 'rule of thumb' is that aquarium salt should only be added if your fish is suffering from an external problem (fin rot, etc), and it shouldn't be added for more than 10 days.

What do you mean by "Ammonia: a but above normal, but not extreme"? Did the test you did give a more specific number?

Quote:
Alright, let me get this clarified a bit. At the end of November before I even tried betta I had to do an emergency water change to save the fish I had as when I went to my fish store they said my water was pretty much deadly. So they gave me 4 gallons of their purified water, and 1 gallon of their cycled water. There has been many water changes since then so, it should mean my tap water makes up the majority of the water at this point.
Did they say WHY your water was deadly????

This is a big deal -- because you drink it, right? And if it's deadly to a fish, is there something in it that could affect YOU?

You said you have well water. Has anyone tested this water recently? If not, call your local county (or town) government or water municipality, tell them what the fish store said, and ask if they can test your water. (If they can't, ask them how you can get it tested.)

Also, can you describe how you do water changes? For example, do you just remove 35% of the water, and dump new water in? How quickly do you add the water? What was the temp or the new (versus the old) water, etc?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #17 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Well to my dismay my betta fish passed today while I was at work. I have found that a smaller tank is a nightmare in terms of care, so I have already cleaned up and put away my 3.5 and I want to save up for a 30 gallon setup. In the mean time though I need to do some more research on various forums to do the aquarium the right way this time. I feel that I made a lot of mistakes with this past tank, which I blame not only on some bad advice, but also mainly my own ignorance on taking care of fish. Thanks for helping me even though I couldn't save my betta.

To answer some questions, first my tap water is fine, the instance I talked about the "deadly water" is my tank water after too many fish and not enough water changes. When that test was taken in november(by the fish store using an API test kit, which is one thing I need to buy when I start my 30 gallon setup) my water was horrible, almost all of the test values(ei. PH, Nitrate, Ammonia, etc) were out of wack.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Please do not trust any pet store. Remember that they are there to make money, we are here to help. Use a different water conditioner. I use nutrafin aqua plus, and it works great. He is stressed. Stop feeding him tetra flakes, they are low quality. I would try freeze dried bloodworms at first,they are a treat food but if you can get them into him, he needs to eat something. As a staple food use either omega one or even better use new life spectrum. A 3.5 can work, but you need to keep up on work. Sorry to hear that he died. If this is happening so often, please go get your water tested! Like another member pointed out, if its killing fish it's probably not great for you.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

I am sorry for your loss.....

In terms of your 3.5 gallon tank, it could be used to make a suitable home for a single betta. The simplest way to do it would just require a heater and a thermometer, and performing two water changes per week (one 50% and one 100%).

I have three 3-gallon tanks set up this way. No filters. Just silk plants and some hiding places. The heater maintains a constant temp of 79F. I use a turkey baster to siphon out poop every day. Once a week, I do a 100% water change, rinsing off all decorations. Halfway though the week, I do a partial water change (about 50%).

Bettas are pretty adaptable to whatever the pH level in your tap water is. So as long as your water is deemed 'drinkable,' I wouldn't worry about adjusting it. Just use a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramines. (If you go to Petsmart, their Top Fin brand is fine.) Also, because I'm doing frequent water changes, I don't bother testing ammonia levels.

As for food, the two most recommended foods on this site are New Life Spectrum (NLS) and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Simply feed 2-3 pellets twice a day. Some people also fast one day a week.

Edited to add: I recognize that losing a fish is traumatic. It happens. Not all fish are healthy to begin with.... If you got him from a place like Petsmart or Petco, they have a replacement policy. I'd suggest bringing his body back, and getting a new fish. Yes, it's a disturbing feeling to walk in and request this. But I'd suggest doing it anyway. You have a tank, and with just one or two small purchases, you'll have a good home for a betta. Pick up water conditioner and a good pellet food. Then pick out the healthiest looking fish that you can find, and acclimate him slowly to his new home.....

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #20 
Arctic Cat ZRT

Thanks for the encouragement! Right now I just have to take a break from fish at the moment especially after 4 months of dissappointment with various fish including bettas. I still have all my materials, I just emptied and risied the tank out including the gravel/plants/heater/filter. I was to focus on a bigger tropical tank first, then once I have that undercontrol (hopefully), I may revisit bettas. All I know is that when I start up a new tropical tank, and later down the line betta again, I will definitly have and need some more knowledge under my belt.

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 01-20-2013 at 11:42 PM.