Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #1 
Homer16

Rescued a Betta....petsmarts contradicting

I was at petsmart today, looking at Bettas. I see this big guy all alone in the back shelf. I couldnt help it so I bought him. Not sure if he will live or not he doesnt look right with his colour. He was in a tiny cup that was 67 degrees (yes, I took it at the store secretly).

Meet Joe

Brought Joe home and started to set up his 2.5 gallon

I thought I would humour myself by grabbing a "Betta Care Guide" and read it. It only made me more angry. It said in there Bettas need heaters and a temp of at least 74 degrees. So, explain why they are sitting in tiny cups with no filter or heater....Morons!

Im not to happy and I am about to email head office to let them know they should practice what they preach.

Joe is now happy. Not sure if hes going to live or not. What kind is he and why is his colour like that?

Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #2 
Caii

Poor Joe! <_>

I rescued my betta baby, Bo, from a friend, but went into PetSmart to grab his thermometer and plant... saddest experience of my life. I wish betta fish could live together in harmony so I could adopt them all!

The girl who ended up helping me actually knew quite a correct bit about betta care, but said that it was "above her pay-grade" to do anything about how the bettas were held or contained... really wanted to punch her in the face...

HOWEVER! It looks like Joe's in a much better and safer place than the horrible shelf he came from: I'm so glad that you rescued him! Please keep us updated~ we're all rooting for him!

EDIT: He looks like a Veiltail (VT); Bo's one too!
A Coloring/Tail Guide: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868

Last edited by Caii; 01-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #3 
crowntaillove3

He looks like a Cambodian VT. And as for having them practice what they preach, I couldn't agree more! I went to petsmart yesterday and I saw at least three bettas that were there a month before. I highly doubt that they have had more than one water change.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #4 
jenjen182

Thank you for rescuing the poor baby! I know what Petsmart is like- awful!- but wait till you see Walmart. I can't go in there without literally bawling!

As for his type, Joe looks definitely like a VT- Veiltail betta. The colors vary on VT's, so that's probably just inherited from his parents or family.

He looks like he will survive fine- just keep us updated. By the way, I saw in one of your pictures that you have Aqueon Betta Pellets- Yay! I feed my betta these and he absolutely ADORES them! :D
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 
Vizja13

Pretty color, hope he's okay!!

I'm actually pretty proud of my petsmart; they now keep the bettas in "barracks" along the wall over the tropical tanks, running heated water through them. Higher chance of disease but...cleaner and warmer water. COurse...there was one square with two females together. I was concerned but apparently they kept seperating the two, but they would just get back together. They were ignoring each other. I don't get it...oh well, yay they are getting there on betta care, the others looked great, active and healthy!
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #6 
Viva

That's irritating :( I wish I could save all the sick/dying bettas whenever I go into Petco/Petsmart. I hope your boy makes it, he has a beautiful blue color that I'm sure will only get better as he heals up.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #7 
Homer16

Our walmart does not carry fish anymore. I will be emailing head office about the betta care and contradicting information tomorrow sometimes
Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's a pretty boy! He's got a beautiful home now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

our local petsmart actually had the care and forethought to move their bettas away from the door (probably at a loss of sales to THEM, no less) so the cold draft wouldn't chill their water. i thought it was an uncharacteritic show of care from them, where they usually don't give a rat's chili-maker about them.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #10 
Myates

Glad you got him in a nice, warm home :) Bet he will blossom for you even more!

But.. keep in mind.. it's not feasible to house each betta in their own container with a heater for each one. They can't have 1 betta in every fish tank to keep them warm either. The only safe way to keep them is in the small containers - otherwise, what will they do? Throw one in with the Jack Dempsy over here.. an oscar over there, oh hey, there's one with the tiger barbs.

So honestly, they can't do that, and they need to be separated for their own safety, nor can they keep the store at 90* to keep the cups warm. Yes, they can clean the cups daily.. but they will still be cold. With safety for the customers (can't use a heat box that can potentially burn a person), and with safety for the fish (placing them in tanks with dangerous fish as they don't have enough tanks to safely hold them all).. the cups are the best way for them.

But doesn't mean I don't hate it.

They just can't practice what they preach due to the nature of the fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote