Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #1 
Kaley2013

New betta.. questions.

Okay.. so my boyfriend decided to do something nice for me and clean Jupiter's tank while I was away since I can't do it alone (it's a 5 gallon and I can't lift it.. I have a siphon now) and he used dish soap to clean it.. so Jupiter is sadly no longer with us. ):

Fast forward, and I just brought home a new crowntail from Petco, Mercury. I just have a few questions to make sure he lives a long happy life. Thanks in advance for any answers.

First, pictures:

Tank: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04777982_n.jpg

Mercury: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...93522896_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...10044189_n.jpg

5 gallon with a pre-set heater and no filter. That's a bubbler in the back that the petco guy told me would be okay since the filter that came with the tank was too strong, but Mercury hates it so it's unplugged. That black strip is a thermometer. He's living happily with three ghost shrimp.

I use Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner and added in a little under one dose of pre-dissolved API aquarium salt. I also added a little under one dose of Bettafix because he has a small patch of tail rot, which I'm assuming came from his previous living conditions at petco. I am feeding him Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. 3 pellets once a day. This is day 2 and he ate them all. I also have freeze-dried bloodworms, I offered him one on two separate occasions and he turned up his nose at it.

Since I brought him home yesterday, he's seemed very happy. He's never still; he's always swimming around exploring the tank and watching the ghost shrimp. He seems content.

My main questions are..

How would water changes work?

and

How should I treat his tail rot? You can clearly see it in the second picture of him. I put aquarium salt and bettafix in the tank when he was first put in, which was yesterday. After doing some reading and seeing all the mixed reviews about bettafix, and being unsure of water changes, I was afraid to add any more of the two.

So if someone could let me know how to use bettafix and/or aquarium salt to treat his mild tail rot, and how to do water changes during and after treatment, I would be very grateful!

Edit: I just thought of two more questions.

1. My thermometer on the side of the tank is reading 76ish, but when I put my hand in the water, it feels hot, like well above 80 degrees, but the farther down my hand goes, the cooler it gets. I think it's the hot lamp built into the top of the tank. Is this an issue?

2. How often should I feed him, and how? Since Jupiter was a double tail, someone told me to feed him 3 pellets a day and fast once a week. Is this okay for Mercury too? Also, I'm seeing things about frozen peas, should I do that as well?

Last edited by Kaley2013; 01-20-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Bettafix contains tea tree oil which damages the labyrinth organ, meaning over time, it will suffocate your fish. I'd remove it immediately.

AQ salt is good for treating fin rot, but should not be used for longer than 10 days. It needs to be dissolved completely before adding it to the tank (this is very important). You can dose up to 3tsp per gallon but I would just use one. When you've finished the 10 day treatment or he starts to heal, warm, clean water will work wonders.

Also, those thermometers are not very accurate and will make water changes difficult. You will need one 50% and one 100% a week with no filter. To do 50% changes, you just remove half the water and replace it with conditioned water of the same temp (this is another reason why I recommend the in-tank glass thermometers). For 100%, he will need to be re-acclimated to the new water each time.

One more thing I would personally do is add another tall (preferably live or silk) broad leaf plant that will reach the water surface or get close to it so he has a resting place near the top. They breathe water at the surface so they like to rest close to it.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 
Kaley2013

Thank you so much. He is on day 2 of the salt and I will give him a 50% change on Wednesday. Last night he happily ate 3 pellets and seems to be content. I just have a few more questions..

1. My thermometer on the side of the tank is reading 76ish, but when I put my hand in the water, it feels hot, like well above 80 degrees, but the farther down my hand goes, the cooler it gets. I think it's the hot lamp built into the top of the tank. Is this an issue?

2. How often should I feed him, and how? Since Jupiter was a double tail, someone told me to feed him 3 pellets a day and fast once a week. Is this okay for Mercury too? Also, I'm seeing things about frozen peas, should I do that as well?

3. He turned up his nose at freeze-dried bloodworms, is this normal and/or okay? I heard bettas were supposed to love them.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

1. Do you have a stick on thermometer? Those are notorious for being inaccurate. I would get a floating in tank glass thermometer with a suction cup. Walmart has them for $1.50. I usually move the thermometer around the tank to see if there is hot and cold spots. How is your heater (horizontal or vertical at top or bottom of tank) positioned and do you have a filter? Check the temp before you turn the lights off at night then recheck it in the morning right after you turn them on. If there is a major temp difference, then the lamp may be a problem as temp fluctuations are stressful.

2. It depends on the type of pellets you are feeding as some are smaller than others. I feed my bettas three pellets a day if its Omega One, 6 if its New Life Spectrum because they are much smaller. My blind boy I only feed 1 or 2 a day because he is less active than my other bettas. Please do NOT feed peas! Bettas are carnivores! Plus, they can't digest peas. These are sometimes suggested for constipation but I would never ever feed my bettas peas.

3. Yes, most bettas do like bloodworms but they are all different. I have seen bettas turn their nose up at bloodworms. Some are very picky, and this is totally normal.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #5 
Sivan

To make water changes easier, I would recommend cycling your tank. By having a cycled tank, you create a healthier environment with balanced chemicals for your Betta fish. Additionally, you only need to complete partial water changes each week to maintain it. For a 5 gallon cycled tank, you would only need to change 50% of the water regularly.

As for food, frozen peas do not necessarily work. There is controversy around them, having been rumored to cure bloat or constipation because they work with goldfish. Betta splendens are insectivores, however, and really do not need to each plant matter. As long as your fish has good food with varied ingredients (such as whole krill/herring/etc. meal rather wheat or an unspecified fish meal) and is fed on a regular basis, it will be healthy. Frozen foods can add to its diet and it is fun to watch your fish in action, doing what is natural to it.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

^ you would still need a filter to cycle, though.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #7 
Kaley2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
1. Do you have a stick on thermometer? Those are notorious for being inaccurate. I would get a floating in tank glass thermometer with a suction cup. Walmart has them for $1.50. I usually move the thermometer around the tank to see if there is hot and cold spots. How is your heater (horizontal or vertical at top or bottom of tank) positioned and do you have a filter? Check the temp before you turn the lights off at night then recheck it in the morning right after you turn them on. If there is a major temp difference, then the lamp may be a problem as temp fluctuations are stressful.
I have a stick-on thermometer, my heater is vertical at the top of the tank, and I have no filter. I have a bubbler which the Petco guy said would filter water a little bit (enough for a betta) while not having enough movement to stress him. However, he seems to hate it so I have it unplugged.

Quote:
2. It depends on the type of pellets you are feeding as some are smaller than others. I feed my bettas three pellets a day if its Omega One, 6 if its New Life Spectrum because they are much smaller. My blind boy I only feed 1 or 2 a day because he is less active than my other bettas. Please do NOT feed peas! Bettas are carnivores! Plus, they can't digest peas. These are sometimes suggested for constipation but I would never ever feed my bettas peas.
He is eating Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. People on this forum told me to feed Jupiter 3 every day, fast once a week because he was a DT and had what they called a hunchback. I was wondering if this was different for Mercury since he's a CT, or if the same feeding regimen would work.

Quote:
3. Yes, most bettas do like bloodworms but they are all different. I have seen bettas turn their nose up at bloodworms. Some are very picky, and this is totally normal.
Okay, well I guess if he doesn't take a liking to them, I'll have to find him some other food. It's not good for him to eat strictly pellets, is it? What would you suggest? I got the bloodworms at Wal-Mart, and I saw brine shrimp there too, both freeze-dried.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. (:
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay, w'll I would move the heater horizontally at the bottom of the tank. Remember that heat rises, so this will help heat the tank more evenly. If you had a filter, I would suggest you place it under the filter by the intake as this also helps, but not having a filter is perfectly OK as well, as long as you are doing proper water changes. What's your water change schedule, btw?

I'm assuming the Hikari pellets are the same size as the Omega One... 3-4 a day is perfect. CTs also seem to bloat easier so a fast day a week would be good as well (although personally I just alternate, I feed 3 a day and sometime only 2, but my CT bloats easily so he gets fast days.)

I personally feed a variety of pellets. Freeze dried foods are treats, and I feed them occasionally (like every two weeks). Pellets should be the staple diet. Some people also feed frozen foods as treats, but I do not because they can possibly give your fish internal parasites (which I am currently dealing with. No fun!)
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #9 
Kaley2013

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I can move my heater.. It's one of those submersible ones with the suction cup that are pre-set.

And I plan on doing one 50% water change every Wednesday and one 100% every other Saturday. Would that be okay?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol why can't you move it? Is it attached to the tank somehow or is it not fully submersible?

I would do two water changes per week. Do you have a gravel vacuum? You could do 50%s Wednesday, and alternate 80%s and 100%s on Saturdays with a gravel vacuum on the 80%s (I use a vacuum for every change because it cleans the gravel and also is just easier than scooping out the water). Partial water changes are a lot quicker and easier than 100%s anyways and personally, I don't like 100%s because removing the fish is stressful.

Tags
betta tail rot new owner