Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #11 
sainthogan

Just a side note on the stick on thermometers: They actually measure the temperature of the glass on the outside and can be 4-6 or more degrees different than what is actually in the tank. I have one right next to an inside thermometer and I've yet to see them read the same temperature. At this very moment the outside one reads 72, while the inside one reads 76. Huge difference if you ask me. When I've had my room heater on full blast, I've had my outside thermometer read 80 or higher, while the inside one is still reading 76.
(My female prefers her tank at 76 - I've tried both higher and lower temps and she freaks out at any temperature other than 76)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #12 
Kaley2013

If I move my heater down into the tank any more, the cord will be in the water. Is that okay?

And I will get an in-tank thermometer.

Also, I do have a gravel vacuum, and will do 50% on Wednesdays and alternate the 80% and 100% on Saturdays.
Kaley2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, good.

The heater cord can get wet, just not the plug in. All of my heaters are horizontal at the bottom of the tank and part of the cord is submerged. Most heaters are completely submersible and yours will say if it is on the box (or look online if you can't find the box). Actually, I have yet to see one that cannot be fully submersed.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #14 
Kaley2013

Thank you so much for all your help. I'll move the heater when I do a water change. I guess I'll take out the bubbler and hide the heater cord behind a plant or something.

I just have a question about his fin rot.. I know he has it between his bottom fin and where his tail starts, but either he's just developed (or I hadn't noticed until now) black tips on his tail and a black spot on his top fin. I'm not sure if this is his fin rot getting worse or if they are just markings that I hadn't noticed before. What do you think?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...71917910_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...01618086_n.jpg
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

You are using AQ salt for the current fin rot, correct? It's hard to tell if its fin rot or normal coloring, but they do sometimes have naturally colored tips. My ct has bluish white tips. If you're using the AQ salt and this IS fin rot, it should take care of it. Warm, clean water will help tremendously. An extra change per week might be beneficial for him while he is healing along with stress coat if you aren't already using it.

If its fin rot it will clear up and they often get white tips when they start to heal (and with fin rot you would also notice his fins getting shorter). If its normal coloring and the black tips don't disappear with the AQ salt and don't get shorter it could be natural coloring..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #16 
Kaley2013

Okay, I will continue using the AQ salt and I just ordered Stress Coat, it should be here right in time for my water change. Thanks. (:

Neither of those things will hurt my 3 ghost shrimp, will they? I have a 1 gallon QT tank I can put someone in if I need to.

Edit: The QT tank has a heater and filter, if that would be better for Mercury until he heals completely, but he does love his big new tank.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't have shrimp... But I believe they are sensitive to salt. The stress coat is a conditioner though and should not hurt them. Shrimp are also very sensitive to parameters and often won't survive in an uncycled tank. They need super clean water. A filter also will not really do anything in a one gallon tank.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #18 
Kaley2013

I had shrimp in with Jupiter for a few months until they met the dish soap courtesy of my well-meaning boyfriend, so I think they're okay in my tank, because I began using the AQ salt for Jupiter when he first got his fin rot. I may move someone if I need to.. would you recommend putting the ghost shrimp in the 1 gal (3 of them) or Mercury in it until he gets better?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I would move Mercury to the one gallon, along with at least one tall plant or decoration.. Keep the bottom bare. This way you can monitor him closely, watch his poo easily and everything. Sometimes illnesses get secondary infections. It's also best to do very frequent water changes during treatment which will be easier in a smaller tank.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

I agree on all AyalaCookiejar's recommendations. I just didn't understand how you doing salt treatment. You need to do daily water changes with salt .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta tail rot new owner