Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

How to properly cure Driftwood?

What methods to cure Driftwood have you used?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #2 
via

i believe that you just soak it in water for about a week. each day, change the water because the wood cause it to turn red. im not sure if this is the right way, but it works great for my brother.
via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Boil it. change the water every so often, when it stops leaching tannings then its good to go.

If it is too large to boil, you can stick it in a bucket of water and pour boiling water into it, and follow steps above as if actually boiling it

if you cant boil it then let it sit in a bucket of hot untreated tap water for a week or two
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #4 
Aurie

I have 9 pieces of driftwood in my house
1 small mopani leached tannin while boiling.. and is currently in slime mode .. It'll clear up on it's own, it's brand new - in my 5.5 NPT (and it wants to float so I'm weighing it down)
2 medium pieces of root I just soaked in room temp water.. never leached but had 2 small mold spots that cleared up .. - Currently in a 29 Tetra tank. Never tried to float
2 smaller pieces of root wood (same as medium listed above) .. boiled for about 15 minutes in a stock pot. Instantly cooled in ice water to harden and they sunk. Just put in a couple hours ago. Shouldn't leach tannin based upon above results.
3 large and 1 small piece are currently sitting in my 46 gallon because the pieces are almost 18+ inches long. New water every 48 hours and 2 100W heaters cranked up to maximum..

so some I prepped, some I didn't. I'm sure the stuff in my tetra tank would have leached tannin, but if it is currently I can't see it. I just soaked 1 of the 2 in a 5 gallon bucket for a week. If you can boil it in a large stock pot I would, even for like 15 min on a rolling boil. I'm sure that large nasties are dead in the wood, but you never know .. this would ensure death of nasties naturally without using chemicals. Also would help get sap out which causes white fluffies (bacteria blooms) but it seems that Mopani (the yellow/black wood) will develop a white mucus on it no matter what. It's normal and won't hurt anything.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #5 
Option

Boiling it is the best. Not only does it thin out the tannins in the wood the best but it also sterlizes it from any microbes at the same time. Granted that for larger pieces of driftwood this may be cumbersome. But you will just have to find a larger pot and alternate the position of the drift wood as best as you can. All things considered, I still think boiling it is by far the best choice.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #6 
cdouglas93

So glad I found this post. I actually got some drift wood from the beach a couple weeks ago and finally got my 30 gallon set up so I want to treat my wood so I can put it in there. Thanks :D
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote