Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 
YourBoyCameron

Ghost Shrimp dying?

Hello there everyone!
I got my Betta 2 ghost shrimp and a snail, he's in a 2gal tank, the first ghost shrimp was tiny and he ended up eating it, but he loved the second ghost shrimp, it's been about 2 weeks since I had it, and I found the shrimp dead this morning, I don't know what happened, he got plenty of food, I want to buy another but I'm afraid it'll just die again, what should I do?
YourBoyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
blu the betta

mine did the same thing. but i think mine ate medicine for the betta. or they have a short lifesan.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #3 
Myates

Sorry you lost him..

2 gallons is really small for a betta, a snail and them.. the snail alone creates a huge
amount of waste/ammonia - do you have a filter, live plants in your tank? The shrimp needs aeration, along with lots of food.. with a snail in there you will need to make sure to be doing two water changes a week to combat the ammonia.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 
YourBoyCameron

I have a filter & The shrimp had tons of food, whats the lifespan of a ghost shrimp?
YourBoyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

There lifespan is normally a few years. I think my friend has had some breeds of dwarf shrimp for 2 years now, the same adult trio. It was likely the ammonia spike as well, shrimp are VERY sensitive and NEED to live in a fully cycled tank so it was simply a matter of not properly providing the correct conditions for them. Even the smallest trace of ammonia will kill them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote