Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #1 
Shepaski

jumpy female betta

I have a female betta who recently is on the road to recovery after showing signs of dropsy. she currently being fostered my friend.

we know she's got a wound on the side of her body that seems to be closing up, use to bleed when she had dropsy but now it does't bleed any more.

my fosterer tells me she's very jumpy in her bowl, from the sound of it she attempts to jump out of the bowl and when she moves her movements are jerky when she tries to move, darts around occasionally.
she's eating well and poops, my friend changes the water when it dirty and the water she uses is aged and left to rest for 24 hours before being added into the water.

i know when betta's start trying to jump out of water means somethings wrong with the water. I'm quite concern because i'm not sure what this means. What do we do now and whats making my fish jumpy.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.6 litres, she's in a quarantine bowl
What temperature is your tank? probably 80+ F as room temp here is around that level
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every day using method recommended here
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner and Epson salt. the waters left to rest for 24 hours before being added to the tank

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? we've never tested our water before

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? she looks rather normal now, only has a small wound that looks like a bite she probably got when she was in my tank, its healing up now it seems
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? sometimes stay still, darts around and tries to jump out of the bowl often. either hangs around the surface or at the bottom of the bowl
When did you start noticing the symptoms? she's been jumping ever since she was at my friends place, she never jumped when she was with me
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? she's still on Epson salt treatment from her dropsy
Does your fish have any history of being ill? recovering from dropsy
How old is your fish (approximately) about a year or two
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If the room temperature is estimated, you don't know the water temperature... Especially the difference between rooms, and the drop during the night.

The thing with dropsy which you probably have never been told... IF there is that slim chance of survival, surviving it is no easy thing. They will relapse, become more prone to injuries, diseases and parasites. Which then in that case she would benefit more from a fully cycled tank (easier with 5+ gallons) by her self, with a rich diet (frozen, live, pellet, etc), an adjustable heater with thermometer for a proper temperature control, etc.

Darting can also be a sign of stress, or the beginning of ich.. A parasite that attacks fish most commonly in colder waters, and when they have a crashed immune system.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
Shepaski

we live in a tropical country you see, and the water temperature never falls below the recommended temperature for a betta regardless of day or night so a heater is not really needed here.

is there any other way to prevent the parasites at the moment. we can't really get her a fully cycled tank at the moment.
I do believe she is stress, seeing she's in a completely transparent bowl thats very bare with no place to hide which i plan to fix soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #4 
callistra

She's been symptom free from dropsy for about a week now right? This is great! She'll need one more week on the epsoms.

You should keep a thermometer in there anyway and make sure that the temp isn't fluctuating. Even though you are lucky and live in a warm area, in a way it's kind of a negative at the end of the day because bettas can get too hot too. I know people in your country that use chillers because their house gets too hot. The key is you need a stable constant one temp without swings and jumps because those will really weaken your fish and then they become sick.

I would go get a glass in tank thermometer and see what the real temp is and monitor it regularly for a few days make sure it's not raising or lowering more than 1C. If it is you've got an issue there.

Treatment for parasites is normally to manually raise temp between 86-88F and hold it there two weeks and a week past the last sign of sick but I'd be hesitant to do that with dropsy recovery.. I'd be hesitant to add much of anything else coming off dropsy.. I'm not sure on this one.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

It's risky, with past history of dropsy, to do anything as drastic as adjust the temperature. Keep her as stress free as possible, perhaps in a quieter room... Right now moving her though is not an option due to the dropsy issue. Cleaning the bowl, should be every day adding tap water conditioner (and the epsom salt PRE dissolved)... Try not to remove her. Use a turkey baster or siphon to get poo from the bottom of the tank, and use a cup to gently remove and re-add water.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Bettas will jump out of the water for any reason, from poor water conditions, to "oh look, a bug". My female jumped out of her tank chasing a bug, and there was nothing at all wrong with her water.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #7 
Shepaski

we're quite stumped at the moment on why she's so jumpy. i need to get her a hiding place as he bowl is bare. we'll see what we can do with the temp, weathers been very chilly with the past 2 days raining non stop so that might be one factor to why she's so jumpy.

foster and i will see what we can do

thanks everyone for the help :)

Last edited by Shepaski; 01-21-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #8 
callistra

Cold and no cover would cause this easily.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

THAT is why you need a heater to keep the temperature stable. She won't survive long with dropsy as her illness history in an environment where the temperature fluctuates anywhere between 2 and 5 degrees. No cover especially is bad for any aquarium... And the fact the bowl is empty, she feels she needs to hide. When my girl came down with dropsy I gave her as much cover as I could fit.