Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1 
prettykitty123

Should I buy an air pump?

Hi! I just got a 10 gallon tank from a local feed store that is not going to sell live fish anymore. The tank came with the filter system, heater, airstone, new tubing, and new gravel. It cost me only $5.00, because they are wanting to get rid of them to make room for other pet supplies.

Anyway, the lady who is in charge of the fish told me that I would need an air pump eventually, and suggested I get a Whisper air pump.
Is this a good air pump? I had read in a betta fish book at the library that an air pump is not necessary for Betta's, but I wanted to get your guy's opinion before I spent $10.00 on one.
Also, what type of decorations should I buy for the new tank? I want my new Betta fish to be happy and healthy.
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

An air pump is absolutely unnecessary for a betta tank (or really for most species of fish that I can think of). Water movement and a filter is good to have, but again, betta fish do not need this and water movement can actually be bad for them if there is too much. If you choose to use the filter, consider baffling both the intake and output to prevent your betta from being billowed around like a sail boat.

With a 10 gallon you can do two things: cycle with the filter, or heavily plant the tank and cycle that way (with or without the filter). If you don't have a light for the tank you might be able to add a few low light plants for decor, but not enough to have them take care of most of the fish waste.

Decor is completely up to you, just make sure the items are not sharp and can snag your betta's fins. I personally like fully planted tanks with maybe driftwood or rocks, or you could use some of the many figurines sold at petstores. There is a thread stickied to the top of this section of the forum that says something like "post your betta's home here". There you will find a wide range of appropriate (and sometimes not) decor to inspire!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #3 
waterdog

First let me say outstanding deal on what you got. Lord help me if I ever come across deals like that. Tanks everywhere! lol

With a filter you don't need an air pump and stone. You didn't say what kind of filter system so it's hard to say what your output is going to be, but if it is too strong just baffle it. There are threads on here that explain how.

You might want to consider getting a tank divider and have 2 bettas!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

The only time you will generally need an air pump is if you are running a sponge filter, airstone or an undergravel filter. Not sure whether you need them for anything else. I never used an air pump until I had my first batch of fry.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Bettas breathe air from the surface so they don't need an airstone or anything like that. I have an airpump/stone but I also have 2 clown plecos - not sure if they need it or not but I did read they like alot of current which is a bit of an issue in a tank with bettas.

If you want a low level of power, some of the 1 gallon tanks come with an undergravel filter and a small airpump. It may be worth it to buy the 1 gallon (i think mine was a hawkeye corner?) and use the airpump from that if you want to have some bubbles in the tank. The current produced by it isn't much and a betta shouldn't have an issue with it in a 10G. I use the tank itself for a hospital tank. It would think it would be powerful enough for a smaller sponge filter? I use it because I have 2 plecos and I am not sure if they actually need airation or not...or if the live plants I have are enough.

I also have a more powerful pump and when hooked to the same airstone, produces a massive jet of bubbles

As for decor - thats up to you. Personally I like to have a section with big, tall, leafy silk plants for them to hide in or rest on and a cave of some sort.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #6 
prettykitty123

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
First let me say outstanding deal on what you got. Lord help me if I ever come across deals like that. Tanks everywhere! lol

With a filter you don't need an air pump and stone. You didn't say what kind of filter system so it's hard to say what your output is going to be, but if it is too strong just baffle it. There are threads on here that explain how.

You might want to consider getting a tank divider and have 2 bettas!
The filter system is a Tetra PF10. Yea, it was an excellent deal! The lady who was in charge of selling the tanks told me that this was a huge steal, considering it would cost a lot to get all of this brand new.
prettykitty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

http://www.petco.com/product/107131/...on-System.aspx

You may need to baffle the filter, I had to stick foam where the water flows out on mine. Here is a tip - you do not need to throw out the cartridge every month, just swish it around in old tank water when you do the water change.The carbon will wear out but I find that chemical filtration isn't really needed unless you are removing medications from the tank. It will save you money in the long run and you won't be throwing out alot of the bacteria in the cartridge every month.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #8 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykitty123 View Post
The filter system is a Tetra PF10. Yea, it was an excellent deal! The lady who was in charge of selling the tanks told me that this was a huge steal, considering it would cost a lot to get all of this brand new.
Indead it would! Most 10 gallon setups run around $60-$80.

The filter you have is referred to as a HOB (Hang On Back) in your 10 gallon setup it should not produce too much flow for your betta. Just keep an eye on him and if he appears to be constantly struggling to swim then consider baffling it. A tip might be to put it to one side of the tank instead of the middle.
I know I am in the minority on here because I beleive in filtration, but I beleive a betta is like any other tropical fish and why not provde him the best enviroment possible? Can you keep a betta without a filter? Absolutly. Will a filter benefit your betta? Absolutly! Will a filter benefit you the owner? OH H*** YES!
I do disagree (as we all disagree about a lot of things) with Tikibird on one point.......carbon. Carbon doesn't exactly wear out, it absorbs chemicals from the water. Once the carbon becomes saturated it can actually start leaching those chemicals back into the water. To be safe, change the filter element once a month and always remember to rinse it first to wash away the loose carbon dust before putting it into your filter. Better safe than sorry!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Carbon doesn't exactly wear out, it absorbs chemicals from the water. Once the carbon becomes saturated it can actually start leaching those chemicals back into the water
Didn't know that but then again, I don't normally use cartridges -except in one tank. Normally I just stuff the filters with aquaclear foam.

I did notice that with the medium biobags for tetra filters, you can actually remove the carbon. There is a little clip thing at the top of the cartridge that holds it closed. SInce its not fine grained carbon, it can easily be removed and new carbon inserted. it takes about 1/2 a bag of aquaclear carbon for thir 5-15G filters. This stuff:

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-10-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 
BettaPirate

I had a small air pump with air stone in my 3 gallon that came with it, after about 4 weeks I removed it because my Betta who used to play in the bubbles started to get stressed by them. He loves his calm tank now :)

So I say don't waste your money!
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote