Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #1 
Imagine

Exclamation Fish close to death

My female betta fish Crystal Pearl managed to cross her tank divider to my betta Crown's side...and now she seeems to be dying. He nipped her so that her bottom fin is pretty much gone, and that the rest of her fins are into shreds.arts of her look slightly bloody, and she's not moving. What can I do? Right now, she's in a petco betta cup, with some stress coat since I don't have an extra heater/tank.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
Imagine

Bump
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 
sainthogan

Can you float her in the tank while she's in her cup or something else? She needs to be kept warm if she's going to get better. With all that damage, she's probably in shock, and it probably hurts to move. If you can't float her in her cup, then make sure your divider is good and secure, and put her back into her side of the tank. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep her warm during her healing process.
If you have aquarium salt, that may help too, but you may have to treat the whole tank since you don't have an extra one. I've never had to use aquarium salt, so I don't know the dosing, but I do know you should only use it for 10 days.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 
Imagine

She is currently floating on the tank in her cup, but the heater wasn't always the best, meaning that the water is probably around 75 degrees right now. I would floater in my 10g, but it's only about 2-3in thick, and the cup can't fit in there.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #5 
Imagine

The bottom part of one of her gills is a dark red and it's not from ammonia poisoning...do you think that will affect her badly?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Can you post a picture of her? It could help people determine the extent of her injuries, and that would allow them to give you better advice.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #7 
Imagine

I will, as soo as I can get on my computer (I'm on my iPad right now)
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 
callistra

Keep her water clean and keep her warm.. Adding stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon, or fresh water vitachem at 1 drop per gallon (if you can find it) would be helpful too. Some people use IAL if you can find it.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #9 
Imagine

I'm honestly really worried about her, she's not really moving, keeps spitting up her food, and looks like a shredded mess. There are also a few cuts on her I think, and one of her gills appear injured. Do you think she will make it based on this description?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #10 
callistra

I'm sorry :( Only time will tell but that does sound pretty bad. Most of the time fish recover from accidents like this.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote