Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1 
Racoon293

Female acting strange after move

So I just moved my female from a 1/2gal. bowl to a 5.5gal. tank. I spent an hour acclimating her to the new tank water. ( same source water as what she is was in) She did good during the acclimation process. The first ten minutes or so she just cruised around exploring with brief stops by the heater. Soon after she stated darting around erratically and developed stress stripes. I've read that bettas that have been moved to new surroundings usually sit at the bottom for a day or so but my girl is spazing out! Is this just her way of coping with the move or should I be worried? On a note I've dimmed the lights in the room and she's calmed down a little but not much.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

It's probably just the change some of them take a few days to adjust. Keep an eye on her. Make sure the filter, if it is filtered, isn't creating too much current for her. Test the water too make sure the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph are correct, do water changes if they're out of whack.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 
Racoon293

No filter. She's calmed down a little more but still has stress stripes. Her fins have started to clamp off and on. I'll keep an eye on her. Maybe cause its kinda late and near her bed time she's cranky. I know I can get cranky around bed time! I did buy some new water conditioner today. It's the same brand as I was using but it's a differ t concentration with different dosing instructions. Top fin betta water conditioner. If anything I might have put a little extra in. Could too much be bad?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #4 
sainthogan

That could have something to do with it. Some of them can be extremely sensitive to water changes. But that usually isn't an issue.

I'm more concerned about other things: Is it possible she's seeing too many reflections? Does she have plenty of hiding places? If not, get her some asap. Bettas love to hide and too many open spaces can cause extreme stress.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #5 
Racoon293

I put some silk plants in an a coffee mug as a hiding hole for her. She calmed down a lot since I first posted. She seems to be resting now. The stripes have faded a little. Temp is about 75 degrees. I'll bring it up a few more tomorrow. I don't have a test kit but ill bring a water sample to petsmart tomorrow. Maybe the gravel threw off the pH. She's doing better it seems though as of right now.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 
blu the betta

its probably just the extra space. some bettas are just used to small spaces. if this is the problem i would put her in with about 2 gallons of water for the first day then just add a little more every day.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #7 
Racoon293

Shes doing better this morning. Her color is coming back and she's swing slowly around her new tank. I'll continue to observe her through our the day.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad she's doing better. Some of them just freak out a little.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #9 
Racoon293

She is seeing her reflection on one side of the tank. I'm gonna do a water change this evening. I'll move around the plants and see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #10 
Racoon293

She's still stressed. I've seen the stripes come and go through out the day but the erratic swimming has decreased. I did a 25% wc and moved around the plants which did help with the reflections. Maybe she just needs a few more days to adjust?