Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

:O Half a gallon is cruel, 1 gallon is okay but shouldn't be long term unless heavily planted and well heated as 1 gallons are hard to heat. 2.5 is min because it gives plenty of room, can be easily heated, and can even be cycled if you are really good at it. My sis had her betta in a .5 gallon and that fish was miserable until I gave her my old 1.5 gallon tank and heater. He's SOO much more active and healthy now.

The other option with a 5 gallon tank is getting a divider and having 2 betta in it. Betta's have low waste production and can be comfortably kept in a 5 gallon together....so long as it's divided.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #12 
crowntaillove3

I'm not looking to have a divider, even if the tank is 5 gall. My original setup that lasted for about an hour was to have each of them in a 2.5 with a divider. I quickly moved one into a bowl after realizing that it wasn't good. SF, the one that was in the bowl, is now in his own tank. I hope that I can get that 10 gallon! Thanks again for all of the advice.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #13 
LadyVictorian

10 gallons are better for community fish, if you get a 10 gallon then I would get 5-7 neon tetra's with the betta and maybe one snail or a few shrimp...again snail over shrimp for newbies to cycling tanks. QT the tetra's for 2 weeks before adding the betta though as they tend to be sick from some pet stores.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #14 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, yeah. In also forgot to say, all the fish you listed there as tank mates will only be available for 20G+. For a 10G; neon tetras, cories, snails, and shrimp will be good. Not all at once though, one species at a time.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #15 
crowntaillove3

In a ten gallon, I would prefer to have mollies in the community. How many would I be able to keep if there was one betta?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #16 
crowntaillove3

Sorry. Posted right after you, lebronthebetta. So no mollies, then.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #17 
LebronTheBetta

Sorry for the mollies. /: You can have guppies, though. But you'd have to get ones with shorter fins and dull colors. (Practically female ones)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #18 
crowntaillove3

And about a half gallon being cruel? I saw at least thirty mollies in a ten gallon tank at the pet store yesterday. A half gallon is cruel, but what I saw just made me want to smack the pet store owner.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #19 
LadyVictorian

Petstores are masters at overstocking a tank, look at any tank at a petstore and...don't do what they do, they you'll have a healthy tank with happy fish. I saw some 100 goldfish in a 30 gallon once, it was sick.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #20 
Sprinkles55

Hey! Sadly as everyone else said, 5 gallons is a little too small for all the fish you listed. You could also add one ADF to your 5G; I have one African Dwarf Frog with my one betta and they've both been doing great! It's just hard to feed them sometimes, Sprinkles goes after anything that can be eaten lol!
Sprinkles55 is offline   Reply With Quote