Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #31 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Big news!!! :D For my B-day tank, I'm allowed to get about a twelve gallon! I'm also allowed to bring in a new class pet that ONLY I get to take care of (in addition to the tarantula that only I take care of, the cockroach that I help with, and the bearded dragon that I help with. Our teacher loves animals!) AND my parents have agreed to let me get an other one for my mom's new office, as long as she gets to pick it out!
sweeeeet! How fun!!! I my teachers loved animals that much when I was in school! Unfortunately, having a class pet while in college is useless. :(
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #32 
crowntaillove3

LOL... I have picked out my tank for the community! It's a 15 gall. If you go into the fish boutique in the petsmart website, it is the first one. Here is a the item name:
Aqueon 15 Gallon Column Deluxe Aquarium Kit

I know it came out big... I'll get a pic up soon! Sadly, I'm getting it well after the current "up to 25% off on most things aquatic" sale.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #33 
crowntaillove3

Here it is! The pic on the website sure has it all dolled up... How many mollies and/or tetras and/or zebra danios could I have in here with one betta?
Name:  pPETS-9867235t300x300.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  32.6 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #34 
shawnee

neons

try some neons
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #35 
shawnee

wish my teacher woul let us have pets
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #36 
crowntaillove3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
try some neons
Neon tetras? I used to have some...they were impossible to kill. They also ate each other... One day, one was missing and one was HUGE. Fishy horror movie! How many could I have (but if I can only have one other kind of fish, I would definitely go for the mollies) in there?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #37 
crowntaillove3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
wish my teacher woul let us have pets
My class is super lucky to have three (soon five! One new betta coming from me, one from bryanacute) class pets. Of course, I am one of the two "zookeepers" and I have to clean and care for three pets with water, disinfectant spray, Clorox wipes, and paper towels... Crickets are messy! And that is only the food for the pets. Luckily, bettas don't eat crickets.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #38 
crowntaillove3

I haven't been on in so long!!! All of a sudden, Christmas break ends and life starts again. So--update: the tank in Mom's office got shot down. We walked into petco planing on getting a betta and we walked out with a guinea pig. Since then, we have gotten an other guinea pig and the tank at school got shot down. The pigs, Snickers and Buddy, are doing good, and so are my two bettas! Thank goodness I got the birthday tank I wanted! I got the fifteen gallon three days ago. When I opened the box, one of the water conditioners had spilled and it got all over the tank. The tank isn't stocked yet; waiting till Saturday to get my fish! I don't know what I was thinking planning on having all of those fish in a 5 gallon. So the current plan is to get one male betta, some BB mollies, and maybe some ghost shrimp. I might get some danios. Anyways, I'm kind of bummed about not getting the two smaller tanks, but I got my big one!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #39 
Elsewhere

Congrats, that sounds awesome! I too have a massive, expensive project coming up- 30 gallon community. Stocking with Bloodfin Tetras, a Gourami, snails, Otos and maybe some Ghost Shrimp and a female Betta. Lots of planning, and I hope that your new tank works out perfectly!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #40 
Bombalurina

BEFORE you stock, there are some things that you should consider. These are very important.

Firstly, what is your water like? Is it hard or soft, and is your pH high or low? This will effect the kind of fish that will be able to live long, healthy live in your water. Tetras and danios prefer softer water with a low pH. Mollies like hard water with a high pH.

Secondly, I have to agree with Lebron on the mollies. They are really fish that need 20 gallons. They are not great betta tankmates, IMO, as they won't thrive in freshwater the way they do in brackish water, which your betta would hate. They also prefer lower temperatures.

Thirdly, danios are a poor choice also. They are sub-tropical fish, where as bettas are high-end tropical (i.e. bettas need water in the 78-82 range to thrive, whereas danios do best in temperatures below 75, with 72 being great). Danios are also super active and need the full length of a 2 foot tank. If you got the 15 galon you mentioned earlier, it just doesn't give them a large enough footprint to swim in.

Neons are probably a better idea, but they are still a fish that enjoy zoom room. If you have water soft enough for tetras, consider ember tetras. They are smaller and less active than neons, so should be fine in the footprint of your tank.

I'm sorry that this limits your options, but it is really important to make sure that the fish you get will be happy in your tank. :) Congrats on the guinea pigs, and make sure you find out hardness and pH!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote