Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #41 
crowntaillove3

I'm kind of upset that I'm not able to get the fish I wanted, but I also know that it isn't fair to the fish to keep them in a bad habitat. Thank you for letting me know. For the water hardness, my city has REALLY hard water. But, my house has a water softener in the shower in the basement. The tank will be in my room on the second floor, so having to go down two sets of stairs might be a bit of an inconvenience. I'm willing to do it, but I would prefer to not have to. For the pH, I haven't tested yet. I feel like such a bad mother, not testing before I put my two fish into their tanks! They are doing fine, though, so I am guessing that the pH is at an okay level for them. When I go to petsmart today I'll be sure to pick up a pH tester. I feel stupid asking this, but what other kind of fish besides neons could I keep with a betta? I'm still very open to suggestions at this point, and here are some stats on the tank:

Water -- hard or soft depending on the fish
pH -- to find out later
Temp -- no heater, but temp stays at about 78 degrees in my room
Filtration -- a three power filter
Measurements -- 2' tall by 13" by 13", 15 gallon

If you need anything else, I'll try to figure it out!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #42 
Bombalurina

There are a bunch of options if you can have two different types of water! :)

Hard water: Endler's Livebearers (so much fun!) guppies (don't mix with Endlers, they will cross-breed), dwarf hatchetfish, Australia/PNG natives like spotted blue-eyes (you'd probably have to order these dudes online).

Soft water: neon or ember tetras (embers are gorgeous), pygmy cories, panda cories, rasbora maculata...

My head is full of cold right now, but there are others, I promise! I'm just too full of sniffles to think of them. I'll get back to you. :p You unfortunately have the same limitation I do - a very tall, skinny tank, which does reduce your species options!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #43 
crowntaillove3

So true! I got the tank set up!!!! EEK! I'm so excited. There are no fish; I'm gonna wait a couple of days to put them in. I'll get a picture up as soon as I can, and the bubbles are making it impossible to get a clear shot. I got a pH tester and an ammonia tester, so that's good. But, I recently have learned that I actually only have access to hard water. We have a water softener, but we never got it in. What a bummer! The good thing is that I was planning on getting the fish today, but the store that has more supplies, the local PetSmart, has a very small selection of fish. The bettas? They were terrible quality and horrible color. I felt bad for them. The store that has less supplies but more fish, the local Pet Co., has lots of beautiful bettas. So, if I'm going to make two stops, I don't have to settle for lower quality fish or less supplies. Right now, I'm considering on having a tank with lots of little fish and no bettas. I wanted to get some dwarf gouramis, but the temp in my room is too high. So, the choice of the hour is to get platties and maybe some other guppies or tetras if they all can be housed in hard water. I'm waiting for the two testers to accumulate to the water to get a good reading. I'll be posting more on that soon!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #44 
crowntaillove3

The pH is 8.1, and the ammonia is less than .02, so I think the ammonia is good but the pH is a little high. What should the pH be? I feel stupid asking this, but I'm still a little new to this. Thanks so much for all of the help so far!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #45 
Bombalurina

If you can't get Endlers locally, it's worth going online for them. :) I have had both guppies and Endlers, and every time I see them dashing around like little rainbows, I fall in love all over again. That said, a tank full of high-quality male fancy guppies would look super-nice too! :)

The pH depends on the type of fish you want - livebearers should be ok in your pH, but optimum pH would be a little lower.

If you don't want bettas, you might be able to have shell-dweller cichlids (or I could be going crazy).
Old 03-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #46 
crowntaillove3

Believe me, if I had enough room for a chichlid, I would have one right now. I love the look of them! But, all of the ones that I saw needed at least thirty gallons. I've never heard of a shell-dweller, but I'll have to look into it. I have a couple of days to figure out what kind of fish I want to get, so I'll have to do some more research and looking at the petco website. I'll keep updating as I go along, and I'll have a picture up as soon as the bubbles go away!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #47 
Hadoken Kitty

I had a german blue. He did pretty good for a while, but I eventually I had to pull him since my betta started nipping himself and I just couldn't get them both in the same tank after that (cause of my male betta).
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #48 
crowntaillove3

After doing more research, I have discovered that the dwarf gouramis would do fine in the temp of my room! The Pet Smart worker said that the highest temp that they can tolerate is about 76 degrees, but the Pet co. website, wikipedia, and aquaticcommunity.com has said that they do well in temps from 72 - 82 degrees. Looks like I know what I'm going to get for my tank! I need to get some floating plants and some taller plants, and I can also get some guppies or tetras to go with them. Take that, Pet Smart guy, Mike!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #49 
Bombalurina

I'd go for the guppies - they will enjoy your water more than the tetras, and don't need quite as much lateral swimming space. :)
Old 03-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #50 
crowntaillove3

Okay -- I like the look of the guppies better anyway. Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I'm pretty sure that I've made up my mind!