Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #1 
adcx64

Could my fish be "deaf"?

Hey guys, so earlier today, I was listening to music, forgetting my 1 gallon tank with Steve was near. the music was pretty loud, but he didn't seem to mind. What kind of health problems could he have obtained? He barely ever responded to tapping the glass so I have no way of testing.

Thanks!
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #2 
Syriiven

Fish can 'hear', but also they feel vibrations through the water. S'why submarine pings can upset whales, in water vibrations and sounds get magnified and travel a long ways depending on power. Also how humpback screams confuse school of herring enough they can't communicate with each other.

I've dealt with this problem too, since I like loud music with a good bass, but my tanks are on the same desk with the speakers.

My advice is to get headphones, which is my solution. Big awsm ones so I can have things loud. Or move your speakers so vibrations dont travel directly through the wood/surface of whatever your tank is on to your tank.

Otherwise chances are your fish does get drowned in a constant vibrating hum which can stress them out. A big indicator is horizontal black stress stripes down the body, or a paling in color. Still, I try not to risk it with my guys and only have the music loud every so often or use my headphones.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #3 
adcx64

he seems fine now, i was just wondering if there were potential permanent issues I could have caused.
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Not in one session, no. But constant loud music could stress him out and that would make him highly susceptible to sickness. So just moderate the loud and you both should be fine =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote