Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1 
GoodMorning

Defective father?

Quick question, if the father has a defect; such as raised lip, unequal pec fins, uneven body lines, gills that dont close, head that is not smooth, does that mean that he will pass it on to his offsprings?

I'm in the process of debating if i should breed my male because i really like his color, his energy, his heart, and his spirit, but he doesn't have the best structure. Is it worth it? Or should i just wait until i find a male with a better structure?

Thanks.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Ehh, its not guarenteed that the father will pass it on, because some of those types of issues could have happened from bad water quality, or something that isnt genetic.
BUT if the defect IS genetic, then you will likely have a good amount of defects similar in the spawn.
I guess it just depends on you and what you are breeding for. If you are breeding for personality, to give some of the babies away, and his defects arent to major, it might be worth it. If you are breeding for form, to send to a show, or to sell, I'd find a boy with better form.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I wouldn't breed a fish with bad form, it could cause a lot of problems in his fry and it's cruel to breed animals that will not be capable of living good healthy lives. If you want to breed please read up on breeding and try to find better stock.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #4 
Myates

A fish with bad form isn't a defective fish.. and they can certainly live good, healthy lives. What he is describing isn't a debilitating deformity.. just not a show quality fish. A debilitating deformity that should be culled is if the spine is bent sideways, or it's mouth missing.. etc. Something that actually affects the fish's daily life.

But looking odd? We don't kill ugly people because "they won't have a healthy good life, instead will be judged on their looks and made fun of".

As aemaki had said, it depends on what your plans are with breeding.. for pets then he's fine as you can work on his line to clean up anything undesirable. Even if you want to sell or show, you can breed him for his colors and work the line down to have what you are wanting - take the best of his offspring with the colors you want and best form, and breed them, so forth. If you use siblings/parent make sure to only go for a few generations and then bring in fresh genes to avoid going back to unfavorable body conditions.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 
GoodMorning

Still can't find an answer, some say yes, some say no, some say both? I think Myates was the closest, i mean, it's not really a deformity, he doesn't have 3 eyes or anything, it's just that i'm picky. The mouth has to be a certain way, the head has to curve nicely, the fins has to be balance. That's pretty much it, i guess i kind of over-exaggerated a bit. The fish is perfectly healthy and there's nothing wrong with him. But if you are picky like me, then you will see his physical flaws. I guess in my eyes, he is kind of "ugly" like Myates said.

Has anyone tried something like this before and what was the outcome? I mean, we can only speculate so far.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #6 
inareverie85

I would recommend getting show quality stock to breed.

It costs the same and takes the same amount of time and hard work to raise up fry from any sort of fish.. Starting with high quality parents though will mean that your fry's chances of finding good homes when they grow up is greatly increased.

It's really up to you though as long as the fish's imperfections aren't debilitating and you have plans for the fry.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #7 
Myates

Many breeders breed ugly fish to get colors/patterns they want, and then work on the form after. It's up to you and how much work/time you want to put into it.

Me personally, I'm working for form with coloring an offshoot - since I am not picky.. my only wants is orange and old style cambodian.. other then that I am not trying for any specific coloration.

If you want people to think/know you sell quality fish and want to sell the fish for more than a few dollars.. or your goal is to show down the road then I would go for another male. But if you absolutely love his colors/patterns and willing to work a little if needed.. find a complimentary female with really good form/fins and go for it. The right female will make wonders in the resulting fry. So make her a priority when looking - color + form and you'll still come out with decent stock to work with.

Otherwise, it's everyone's own opinions on which fish to breed and why - no two breeders are alike when it comes to how they spawn and what they spawn, nor their ideal fish. You're the breeder, you see the fish, you know what you want.. go with what your gut tells you. Why not try him out? Have a second spawn going in case it doesn't turn out the way you want, or you change your mind about spending the time perfecting his line.. but you won't know til you try.

I am actually going to throw these three pairs together in a couple days just to see what comes from them. I don't expect much - the blue dragon's fins aren't what I am aiming for, neither is his color.. and the second girl's topline isn't really to write home to, and third girl is a bit messy copper.. but hey, may make something interesting that I can work off of :)
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 01-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMorning View Post
Quick question, if the father has a defect; such as raised lip, unequal pec fins, uneven body lines, gills that dont close, head that is not smooth, does that mean that he will pass it on to his offsprings?
From a purely genetic perspective.... it would depend on whether the trait was dominant, recessive, or controlled by several different genes.

If it's dominant and controlled by a single gene, and he's bred to a female that doesn't have it, then there is a 50% chance the offspring could inherit it. (Although it could be a 100% chance, depending on his genetics.)

If it's recessive, and he's bred to a female that doesn't have it, then none of the offspring would display the trait, but all would be carriers - and they might pass it to the next generation. (For example, if a brother was bred to a sister, then 25% of their offspring would have it, 50% would be carriers, and 25% would not have it.)

If you don't know whether it's dominant, recessive, or controlled by several genes, then it would be difficult to predict the outcome. And as Aemaki and Myate said - it would depend on what you were breeding for (color, form, etc). So if you wanted to pass along his color, then you could breed him, and work on fixing any form problems in future generations....

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-20-2013 at 09:06 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #9 
Myates

Woops.. shouldn't of posted my pics lol.. but figured to show you that not all have to be "perfect" :) I love my fish all the same! Have a goal, aim for it.. but don't forget to have fun while doing so :)

+1 to LittleBlue
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Woops.. shouldn't of posted my pics lol.. but figured to show you that not all have to be "perfect" :) I love my fish all the same! Have a goal, aim for it.. but don't forget to have fun while doing so :)

+1 to LittleBlue
LOL! What's wrong with showing off your 'kids?'

Does the 'perfect' fish even exist? As you and aemaki said, it depends on the breeder's goals... Every breeder is going to select fish based on the goals of their breeding program. If you're going for a smooth topline, then you're going to select two fish that have good toplines, even though they may have other 'deficiencies.' And then in the next generation, you try to breed out those deficiencies.....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote