Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
Mirage23

Unhappy Plants are dying

I love to have live plants in my tank but since I got a hood for my girls tank, the plants are not doing so hot. What puzzles me is that I have the same plant in my boys split 10 gallon and the one on Charlemagne's side is doing fantastic! But the one on Narcissus's side is starting to die (the leaves were browning so I cut them off but the stems are still green for now). The One's in the girl's tank are dying too. They both have the exact same LED hood. I have them on a day and night cycle so the plants experience darkness at night. Anyway I wanted to know what kind of plants I can buy for this kind of lighting. Whether or not these plants die or not I want to replace them or add more. Any suggestions? Also how would I take care of them? I'm hoping to get some easy to take care of plants since I'm not too experienced with them yet but hopefully eventually I can expand on different plants for my Bettas. Thanks for your help! and I'll try to find out the name of the plant that is currently dying. I can't remember it...
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #2 
mld02004

You might try and add a fertilizer to the water. I use tetra's FloraPride and my plants look great.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

How much of the FloraPride to you use per gallon and how often ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 
mld02004

I think they suggest 1 ml per gallon. I kept it at that concentration until I saw my plants perk up, then I backed off to 0.5mL. I add it every water change, but you don't have to.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 
Laki

What kind of plants are they?? A lot of plants vary in their requirements. And water paramters/fert levels may be indicative of browning leaves.
Plants with rhizomes, like java fern and anubias, cannot be buried in the substrate so no matter what lighting you use it will die. Hornwort sometimes goes through a process of "melting" in between tanks. My clump is only now recovering from my buying it in the summer.
Seachem makes a reliable line of plant fertiizers. I use Seachem Flourish Comprehensive which is an array of micro-nutrients. Depending on your plants, you might need macro-nutrients. -Will help you with that when we know what plants you have..
Also, LED lighting is not sufficient for most plants to grow. Depending on the lamp your hood will take you can buy lights with kelvin wattage- great for plants to make and process food through photosynthesis.
Finally, amount of unfiltered light it receives each day will determine the health of plants. Most require 10-12 hours, though some members here get away with a bit longer.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #6 
Hollthulhu

I was told only to try growing Java Ferns with LEDs.
Hollthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollthulhu View Post
I was told only to try growing Java Ferns with LEDs.
that's some asinine advice if you ask me. LED light is totally unsuited for plant growth (emits a totally incompatible light spectrum) in fact, LED tank lighting is marketed to reduce algae growth in tanks for just this reason: it inhibits plant growth of any kind if it's the only light available. maybe they meant not to use direct incandescent or fluorescent light in order to keep it short for smaller tanks, but in my opinion this is the same as keeping goldfish in small containers: you're not conditioning their growth, you're just stunting it like a toddler smoking cigarettes.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 
efg321

LED not beneficial to plant growth, might location of other tanks have anything to do w/ plants that are doing "well".?
efg321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by efg321 View Post
LED not beneficial to plant growth, might location of other tanks have anything to do w/ plants that are doing "well".?
that, or other available light sources. (in our tanks, several of which pass through each other's light areas, the plants that get light from both sources always grow the tallest and fastest.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 
Mirage23

It's amazon sword I got from Petco
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote