Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #1 
r2d

Hello. My name is Mike. I am a new betta care taker. With most everything I do, I am connected to a forum so that I can learn to do it better. This is what happened:

I was walking through a well known chain store with my three year old. There was pet adoption day going on. Of course my boy wanted one of those dogs. I opted for a fish just as I did with my 7 year old in years past. I have a third child and a forth on the way so I am getting this routine down. We went through goldfish the first time around.

The store employee convinced me to get Betta's this time around. My son wanted one for him and one for his younger brother. The store employee sold me one of those divided half gallon betta starter kits. I questioned it and he convinced me it is perfect. Said all the usual comments. So I brought them home set up the tank and let them be fish. This morning they both seemed mellow and very close to the surface. So that's when I found this site and read a whole bunch.

My home is only 68 degrees. It is heated using water run through baseboards. First thing I did was to put them near a shelving unit closer to the baseboard heater. I checked on them in an hour and sure enough they were more active and using more of the space. I think it heated up the water slightly. I then set up the 2 gallon tank that I found left over from our goldfish days. I also now realize that that tank was not big enough for goldfish. I put the bigger Betta in that one and left the smaller guy in the the half gallon. Both seem to be happier already and using most of the tanks. Temporary housing using what I had.

Before I go and buy anything to make them even more comfortable I am doing research here. Thank you for providing great information. I look forward to being here.

Mike
r2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your betta purchases, we would love to see some photos To keep a betta healthy and happy long term they need a minimum of 2.5 gallons each, alternatively you could buy a 5 g and divide it in two. They will also need heaters, you will only require one heater if you choose to divide a 5 gallon in half (using some form of mesh which will allow the water to circulate through the entire tank and will work out cheaper in the long run. To prevent ammonia spike and associated problems a half gallon tank would need 100% water change every 2-3 days. The two gallon would need cleaning twice a week. Don't forget to add water conditioner to make the water safe for your fish. If you need any more advice don't hesitate to ask
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 
r2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Hey there,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your betta purchases, we would love to see some photos To keep a betta healthy and happy long term they need a minimum of 2.5 gallons each, alternatively you could buy a 5 g and divide it in two. They will also need heaters, you will only require one heater if you choose to divide a 5 gallon in half (using some form of mesh which will allow the water to circulate through the entire tank and will work out cheaper in the long run. To prevent ammonia spike and associated problems a half gallon tank would need 100% water change every 2-3 days. The two gallon would need cleaning twice a week. Don't forget to add water conditioner to make the water safe for your fish. If you need any more advice don't hesitate to ask
Thanks for the welcome! I will see if I can load some pics. I am using conditioner. I have only had the boys for 36 hours now and am already making changes. My sister is a fish freak (I mean that in a good way) and she has suggested pretty much the same as you all. She is pushing live plants. I have not decided what route I will take. Also interested in community tanks. Has anyone done a divided community 20 gallon?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #4 
r2d

pic

Here are the 2 boys.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #5 
r2d

Some more pics
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #6 
Newbettamommy13

Hi and welcome to the forums! I am a new betta owner as well and like you, had previously been a goldfish owner. You have some pretty bettas. Mine (as youcan see from my avatar picture) is a blue veiltail, named Mojo. Hope you enjoy the forums and congrats on the new bettas
Newbettamommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #7 
waterdog

Welcome to betta addicts r us. I love the top one, great color!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #8 
veggiegirl

Hey there your bettas are beautiful!!!!!! Sorry I only ever keep bettas solitary but there are a few rules that apply to bettas in community tanks. For example avoid nippy species such as mollies, platies and swords as they are likely to nip your bettas fins. Also avoid brightly coloured tank mates such as guppies because your betta may mistake them as rival males and kill them. Peaceful species such as cory catfish, bristlenose etc are more suitable however catfish are generally messy and to avoid bacterial problems with your betta you would need to keep well up with the regular water changes.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 
r2d

Thanks for the nice comments and warm welcome. Been doing my water changes, feeding properly and continue to keep my two friends close to the baseboard heater. They actually respond to me unlike any fish i have ever had. You can also see the difference in personalities. My little guy has napoleon syndrome. Just wants to pick a fight with my finger, the other betta in the other tank, and from the looks of it, his own shadow! They seen to like their own space so community tank is out of the question now. Probably do a divide ten or five gallon and let them enjoy life in solitary confinement.

Mike
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote