Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #1 
Roemgie

5 gallons and 2 females, I need advice

Ok so I just lost one of my boys who was going to go into my 5 gallon tank since it is finally cycled! Well I went to petland and someone left a few females there and they were selling fast. I asked them to hold two for me (they're in a tank together with a ton of fish and frogs). SO I was going to put them all together into my 5 gallon next week. I then heard that two girls together only may be a bad idea and so I'm worried that i might be making a big mistake but here's my tank and I'll be adding some silk plants to fill it more for hiding. I want to be able to rescue more than just one beta but my mom would kill me if I got a 10 gallon tank. I wanted to get the two calmer females that I saw but we'll see whose left when I go back again.

Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I wouldn't do 2 females in a 5g there's just not enough room, IMO, for them to escape from each other.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #3 
carbonxxkidd

If you're going to put 2 girls in there I'd put a divider in. The tank looks good, though!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

First off only two females will fight each other and one will likely die, also 5 gallons isn't next to enough for a sorority. It's fit for one fish and maybe some shrimp or a snail but that is about it. 10 gallons minimum for multiple fish.

Agree on that, add a divider and don't let the girls swim free together and it can work. If you have the two girls though nothing else can be added.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Personally I wouldn't do 2 females in a 5g there's just not enough room, IMO, for them to escape from each other.
I was thinking the same thing and I actually just talked to my mom (my 10 gallon is in attic (spelling?)) and I first mentioned that I wanted to grow MORE plants in my tank so I wanted the 10 but she said it could be too much of a hassle and going back home can be difficult so no. And then I told her that I wanted to take the females home from petland but I mentioned that if I did use the 10 I would need about 3-4 females and I know she'd kill me if I had that many (although if they were all in one tank...she maybe more ok with that but I would wait until the summer anyway before using my 10 gallon or at least when I go home for breaks). So I asked them to hold two for me but I'll go ahead there today or tomorrow and say I'll just take one home (I have two 2.5 gallon tanks, one currently in use until his 10 gallon is cycled in his owners room). My mom is OCD so having more than one tank will really upset her and also she doesn't think I should be spending all my time taking care of fish when I should be doing school. So I can take one girl in to at least give her a home. Should I just do that?

OH and here's my 5 gallon and about cycling, any advice? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....46#post1391646
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
If you're going to put 2 girls in there I'd put a divider in. The tank looks good, though!
I wouldn't mind doing that but I would rather have one use it all than have two split, so I may just take the shyest of the 3 females I saw. I would love it if my mom let me use my 10 gallon but I doubt she would and I have a 4 hour drive so having all those females (in cups of course for traveling) can be stressful on them and me and I don't want anyone passing away because of traveling (I also have to move my horse home too so on top of them I have him)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
First off only two females will fight each other and one will likely die, also 5 gallons isn't next to enough for a sorority. It's fit for one fish and maybe some shrimp or a snail but that is about it. 10 gallons minimum for multiple fish.

Agree on that, add a divider and don't let the girls swim free together and it can work. If you have the two girls though nothing else can be added.
So if I used my 10 gallon could I get 3 to 4 females? Or would I need an even bigger tank for that. I don't know how I would convince my mom to let me use my 10 gallon (she's letting me keep the 5 because I want to keep my plants). She doesn't want me taking on more fish because she's afraid they take up too much of my time and that they distract me from school. But it would be nice to be able to save 4 rather than just 1
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post

And I'll just adopt one girl for now to at least save one from going where ever they may go. And I may be able to set up my 10 gallon one day so that I can add more
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #9 
Roemgie

Ok so I'm adopting a girl this weekend MAYBE and I plan on doing a Sorority tank once I get my 10 gallon set up (is that big enough for 4 females?)
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #10 
carbonxxkidd

From what I've read 10 gallons is the minimum for a sorority, and you would definitely be able to put 4-6 females in there!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote