Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #1 
Quills

Fin rot, and now somewhat lethargic?

My Betta has caught fin rot three days ago. He was super active and inside his 5 gallon tank he has been doing laps non stop every day. On the third day (which is today) I finally got aquarium salt, filled up my old 0.75 gal tank with water, added conditioning, added 3 salt crystals and put my Betta there. I did this today in the morning, now it is night time, and for majority of the day he has been just lying on the bottom of the tank and not really moving around.
Is it to be expected? What exactly is going on? And his fin rot is not severe, I just noticed two very tiny rips in his tail which he never had before, and looked at some pictures of fin rot, and assumed that it is fin rot. Should I put him back in his 5 gal tank? I got the fin rot guide from here http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html
Sorry I am just freaking out, I don't want anything bad happening to him
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi! Sorry to hear he's having issues. Could you please fill out this form to give us more information: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also, can you post pictures? That could help people determine what's causing the issues with his fins.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #3 
Quills

Housing
What size is your tank?
Was 5 gal, just put him in 0.75 gal today in the morning for quarantine.
What temperature is your tank?
Ranges from 26 to 27 (I have a heater)
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes it does, specifically made for 5 gal.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Yes it has, a small house that blows tiny bubbles, located all the way in the corner of the aquarium.
Is your tank heated?
Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
It lives with a ghost shrimp.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Blood worms as a treat for doing tricks and pellets as a normal food.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Around 7 pellets in the morning and 4 at night, with 2 bloodworms thrown in throughout the day for tricks. Sometimes more if he gives signs of being hungry, he does run around a LOT!

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
100% weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Nutrafin Betta plus, Nutrafin cycle, Nutrafin Aqua plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not have a test kit

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
I noticed two small rips in the tail, which advanced a bit more in three days.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Absolutely fine until I put him in the 0.75 gal tank, since then he is barely moving and is always lying at the bottom of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Tail 3 days ago, not moving since the morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I quarantined him, and added a little bit of aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
None, ever since birth he has been super active.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
16 months and 7 days exactly.

Pictures are coming up once I get him to move a bit.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #4 
Quills

Here are the pictures, I fed him a bit, and he started moving around. And once he ate he moved too much for me to take a normal picture, but still he doesn't seem to move as insanely fast as his usual self. But as you can see, in 3 days the tail has gotten much worse, it's only the tail though and nothing else.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #5 
callistra

You are extremely overfeeding. Blood worms should only be fed one per week as a treat in replace of pellet meal, not multiple a day in addition to normal food. All that overfeeding can lead to constipation and internal infection, but at the least it's contributing to a larger than normal ammonia build up in your tank. Also the pelletes.. what size are you feeding? Unless they're like micro pellets your'e feeding like 2x-3x too many

Aquarium salt dosage needs to be measured and a couple crystals aren't going to do anything.

Are you sure his fins aren't being caught in the filter? Is it an HOB? Do you have a prefilter sponge? Have you tested everything in the tank with panty hose to make sure nothing snags?

Ranges in temps are an issue. Do you know why it's fluctuating? What heater are you using? A good heater will not allow fluctuations.

To treat with AQ, up to 10 days add 1 tsp per gallon predissolved. Only redose along with water changes, and then only add as much as water you change. In that I would do daily 100% changes (use matched temp water and preadded dechlorinator and salt) or at least 50% and 100% alternating.

Is his QT heated? it needs to be, either by using heater (hard in something that small) or floating in the larger tank for warmth. If it's not heated that could be why he's suddenly so lethargic. Also he could have appeared active before if he was really fighting the current.. and now he doesn't have to fight it he can rest.

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2013 at 12:26 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #6 
Quills

The pellets are micro pellets. So should I feed him 4 pellets in the morning and 4 at night along with 1 bloodworm per week?
Fluctuations in the temperature are caused because right now it is winter and I am all the way up in the Canada, so at night time it would show around 26 - 26.5 degrees and at daytime tank temperature is 27 degrees.
Also even before I got a filter he would still be very active and swim around like a madfish. Also how do I do panty hose test? I just drag it around the aquarium? I am suspecting that aeration is the one creating the current. I am using http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/aerati...pump-ap-2.html with this http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/decora...rice-mill.html it makes the whole surface of the water move.
And I have the current fish tank submersed in the bigger fish tank because I could not find any other way to keep the temperature constant.
And with salt dosage I don't know what to do. It says 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Since the tank is only 0.75 gallons then it should be 1/10th of a tablespoon right? But that amount is so minuscule I don't know how I would go about measuring it. After 10 days he should heal then?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quills View Post
And with salt dosage I don't know what to do. It says 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Since the tank is only 0.75 gallons then it should be 1/10th of a tablespoon right? But that amount is so minuscule I don't know how I would go about measuring it. After 10 days he should heal then?
Since he is in a 0.75 gal tank right now, you'd need to add 3/4 of a teaspoon of aquarium salt.

Callistra recommended a slightly higher dosage than what the box lists, since you're trying to cure his fin rot. And, as she said, don't keep him in the salt for more than 10 days.

Make sure the salt is COMPLETELY dissolved before he comes in contact with the water.

(If you prefer to follow the directions on the box: 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons. So you'd need 1/3 of a teaspoon per gallon. For a 0.75 gal tank, this means you'd use about 1/4 of a teaspoon. )

The 10 day limitation is because Bettas are sensitive to salt. It shouldn't be added to the tank on a regular basis, as it could eventually hurt him. You're just going to use it for a short period of time right now, since it can help his fins heal .

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-21-2013 at 12:20 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 
callistra

Micro pellets like .3-.5mm? Or 1mm like NLS? Can you share exactly what you're feeding? You may be feeding an okay amount then but I would still reduce the blood worms. If you want to train him for something maybe break a blood worm up a lot and definitely don't feed him extras on a daily/weekly basis.

You would take the ornaments and things out and then drag the hose through them thoroughly and note any time it catches in the slightest.

Actually that is not a filter.. it's just an aerator.. I mean it's fine to use, but just know it's not a filter. He may be really stressed out by the water movement though. Bettas like to be able to reach the surface and if the entire surface is moving a lot that can be a problem, and is also indicating how much water movement there is. You could try experimenting, once he's well, to see how it acts with it off, and also add a couple valves to control how fast.

You use 1 tsp per gallon predissovled.. mix it up in a gallon plastic jug (very very thoroughly rinsed with hot water but not soap or chems), like you can buy for filling water at the grocery store. Dose there, let it dissolve then fill his container. I would do daily 100% water changes (or at least 50% 100% alternating) in that but it's really important to refill the container with same temperature water (use tank thermometer under running tap to match it) fill the jugs, dissolve the salt, add the conditioner, then refill and add him back)

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9 
Quills

For food I use a mix of
In the morning (7 pellets)
http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Nutrition/Basic/A7240
And at night (4 pellets)
http://www.petland.ca/fish/fish-food...lets-17-g.html
My filter is
http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/423...ws/reviews.htm
It is hidden behind the pirate ship, and creates almost non existent current.
And I attached a picture of my tank (sorry for poor picture quality, it was difficult explaining to my mom how to take a picture).
I am going to keep on doing 100% changes daily in the 0.75 gal tank and keep on adding salt for 10 days and hope my Betta heals up. Thanks so much to everyone for the help and explanation.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #10 
callistra

Omega one is not micro. Not familiar with the others, however I would stop using the nutrafin as the ingredients are not good.. fish meal, corn, wheat. Omega one is good and I've found most fish are good on 3-4 of those a day (split into two meals) but some feed up to 6.. depends on the size of your boy and make sure he's pooping everything out and not becoming constipated and bloated. One fast day a week will help with his.