Betta Fish Forum banner

Marina S10 Power Filter?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Luxavior 
#1 ·
Do I need the goldfish cartridge or can I just get the one used for tropical fish?

#2 ·
Depends, really. If you don't have plants, it doesn't really matter if you use one or the other (or one of each). If you have live plants, you don't want to use the goldfish cartridge because it will absorb nutrients that the plants need. But the tropical fish one contains carbon and it's typically not reccomended to use that in a planted tank for the same reason; you actually shouldn't need carbon at all unless you're removing medication from the water.

What I've done with mine is cut into the little pockets to remove the carbon, replace that with a bit of filter floss, and sew it shut with monofilament line. After this media wears out, I may actually skip the cartridges and just cut some aquarium sponge to fit because retrofitting the cartridges gets a tad bit messy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
In my s10, I have replaced the cartriges with filter sponge. Carbon isn't really needed and it provides more surface area for the beneficial bacteria :)

#4 ·
I use one in my unplanted betta tank and use the carbon/ammonia-neutralizing filter media and stuff a filter sponge at the opening for the outpour spout to keep any from flowing out with extra sponges stuffed inside for more BB housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.