Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 
ChelleWine

Sick/Lethargic Betta

About 10 days ago I removed live plants from my betta tank because of excessive photosynthesis. I changed to plastic plants and did a 100% water change. Now Fred has been acting strange, he is lethargic most of the time, won't eat and hangs out in one corner of his 1 gallon tank. I have his tank aerated and keep it at approx 78 degrees. When I tap on the side of his tank he takes off swimming like an idiot and nose dives in to the rocks at the bottom and then goes back up to the top and tries to jump out. Is he mad because we took his live plants away or is he sick???
ChelleWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

So he's in a one gallon tank now? Have you done a water change during the past ten days?

If he's in a one gallon tank, and the water hasn't been changed in ten days, there could be very high ammonia levels in there.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #3 
ChelleWine

Yes he's in a 1 gallon. We generally change his tank about every 2 weeks I have done a 25% change since removing live plants, but he's not eating or anything and hasn't since we removed live plants...can't figure out what is up with him.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #4 
callistra

In a one gallon you should be doing two weekly water changes of 50% and 100%. The live plants must have been helping to keep ammonia in check. You definitely have an ammonia issue now.

Even with plants, no matter how heavily planted it may have been, your water change routine was never enough so he also could have been gaining problem that just manifested now.

I would do a series of 50% water changes using same temp water and preadded conditioner (using prime will help too as it detoxifies ammonia). Start with one. Wait a bit before doing more but you may need to do 3+ before you can safely do any larger changes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5 
ChelleWine

I have been changing his water every 3 days 50% change. There's no improvement, he's losing color, he is still nose diving to the bottom, swimming like a fiend from all around the tank but has now started floating either at a cock-eyed angle or tail down nose up. He won't eat, period, no matter what we give him.... I'm afraid he is going to die... what could possibly be wrong with him? I also have a female betta in a smaller tank and she has no issues what so ever....
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #6 
callistra

It's been a while.. is he still alive? Can you provide photos?

Exactly how are you doing water changes?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #7 
ChelleWine

He died last night ... :(