Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 
Trent2591

Need URGENT HELP!

Good afternoon,

Got home from work this afternoon and noticed my betta wasn't doing so well, I took him & the 2 females that looked sick to the aquarium and was informed he had fin rot, so i bought some blue planet Multicure, Ive placed him in a 9L tank with the 2 females and added the Multicure, however im wondering, does this stuff need a aerated filter of some kind? as its turned the entire tank greenish, blue and I dont want to drown the poor fish.
Trent2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent2591 View Post
Good afternoon,

Got home from work this afternoon and noticed my betta wasn't doing so well, I took him & the 2 females that looked sick to the aquarium and was informed he had fin rot, so i bought some blue planet Multicure, Ive placed him in a 9L tank with the 2 females and added the Multicure, however im wondering, does this stuff need a aerated filter of some kind? as its turned the entire tank greenish, blue and I dont want to drown the poor fish.

I'm not sure about the medication, I'm more concerned about it sounding like you put the females and male together. If so, separate them immediately or you'll have worse things to worry about than fin rot.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Also, the best thing to cure fin rot is warm, clean water, change it often.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #4 
Trent2591

They all get along and have been in a community tank for quiet awhile. Even now they are not attacking each other.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent2591 View Post
Good afternoon,

It looks like Blue Planet Multicure is not available in the USA, where I'm located.

Via a google search, it looks like the ingredients are: 0.4mg/ml malachite green, 4.0mg/ml methylene blue, 2.00mg/ml acriflavine. (I can't verify this info, so if it's not correct, let us know.)

The malachite green and methylene blue WILL color the water in the tank, and turn it green/blue. None of the ingredients require a filter. They simply dissolve in the water.

Petsmart (a large chain in the USA) ships their fish in methylene blue to their stores. It's supposedly a 'general purpose cure all.' Acriflavine is a topical antiseptic. I'd guess that malachite green is used for similar purposes, as well. That said....

How bad is the fin rot? Generally, warm water with a SMALL amount of aquarium salt is all that's needed to heal this. If it's infected, then yes, you'll need to add something to stop the infection.

Someone here will come along soon and give you better advice on whether the Multicure treatment is needed. But as for the water color, yes, it's to be expected with the Malachite green and Methylene blue.

Do you have live plants in the tank? If so, you may want to read the instructions to see if the plants could be affected by the meds.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 
Trent2591

Thank you so far for the advice, I'm about to head out again to get some aquarium salt, do you recommend putting the aquarium salt in the community tank as well as a precautionary??? Its a 100L tank? Ive moved them into a small 9L tank however just removed the 2 girls into 2 seperate tanks.

The fit rot on 1 female is nearly body rot and in regards to him, its ruined his lovely blue fins. He was a show fish in Australia when i bought him, now he looks terrible, this was all over 1 weekend it happened as well, we added 1 new female on thursday that we bought, im assuming she brought it to the tank.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Fin rot usually comes from dirty water, not new fish.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #8 
callistra

More info and photos: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

You REALLY need to separate them all. Females need to be kept in 10G+ and with at least 4, but 20G and 6+ is better: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

So right now you've got two females and a male in a 2 gallon tank.. you just can't do that. 2 gallons is barely enough for one fish, none the less three, even leaving personality/aggression issues aside.

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #9 
Kwomais

And you're 100% positive that it's fin rot and that it's not the male and females fighting when you're not around? (I assume you're not watching them 24hrs a day, 7 days a week). I know that some males and females can be housed together without aggression in rare cases, I'm just wondering if anyone else thought of the possibility that it's not fin rot, it's fins that are torn up/off from fighting. Especially in those housing conditions. (I'm not trying to sound mean/accusatory, I'm just curious)
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #10 
Trent2591

Ive seperated them all for the time being, they are all in seperate tanks, usually they are all housed in a 27 Gallon tank, its a community tank with 1 male & 3 females, i took my male beta to the vet and he has confirmed that it is fin rot and CAN be caused by a new betta fish being added to the tank that is already infected. The vet also stated that if it was due to fighting the male usually doesn't have damage to his fins as he is at the top of the "pecking order". His given me some antibiotics for them and need to change water every 3 days and add more of the antibiotics.