Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #11 
Trent2591

This is Poisedon and his fin rot & the white dot.
Attached Images

Trent2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent2591 View Post
Ive seperated them all for the time being, they are all in seperate tanks, usually they are all housed in a 27 Gallon tank, its a community tank with 1 male & 3 females, i took my male beta to the vet and he has confirmed that it is fin rot and CAN be caused by a new betta fish being added to the tank that is already infected. The vet also stated that if it was due to fighting the male usually doesn't have damage to his fins as he is at the top of the "pecking order". His given me some antibiotics for them and need to change water every 3 days and add more of the antibiotics.
Anytime two fish fight, both are in danger of being damaged.

Think of it this way: say, there's a fight between two people. Even if one is bigger than the other, BOTH can get in a few good punches. It doesn't matter if they're male or female. Either one can cause injury to the other.

Glad you were able to get some antibiotics. I hope they heal up quickly.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #13 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent2591 View Post
Ive seperated them all for the time being, they are all in seperate tanks, usually they are all housed in a 27 Gallon tank, its a community tank with 1 male & 3 females, i took my male beta to the vet and he has confirmed that it is fin rot and CAN be caused by a new betta fish being added to the tank that is already infected. The vet also stated that if it was due to fighting the male usually doesn't have damage to his fins as he is at the top of the "pecking order". His given me some antibiotics for them and need to change water every 3 days and add more of the antibiotics.
Wow, I know that if my female got in with my male, she would tear him to shreds, she's WAY more aggressive than he is.

Also, I had a friend who used to breed Bettas and ended up quitting because the female kept killing the male and then eating it.

So, the male is not always the top of the pecking order.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote