Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 
xobettaox

Angry Fricking Ick. again.

So my 55 gal tank has become infected with Ick. I have had this before, though with an uncycled tank, and all of my fish died. After doing some reading I added aquarium salt and raised the temp a little to about 81. However I read a couple different articles and they gave me different info, so I wanted to get some advice from those who have successfully treated it. Do I just leave the salt bath for 10 days now, then do like a 60% water change, and another 50% or so the following week to make sure all the salt is gone? Has anyone else successfully treated Ick using salt and a temp raise? Last time I had Ick I used Ick Gone or something and it seemed to have worked but I don't want to kill off my BB. It also made the water cloudy.

Why do I seem to get Ick so often? I read that it could be caused by stress or poor water quality. My tank seems to have pretty good water quality (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20 nitrates). The temp is usually pretty constant, fluctuating a couple degrees throughout the day or during a water change, which I do once a week (about 40%). Am I doing something wrong? Maybe too large of a water change that is causing stress?
xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #2 
Syriiven

It can come from new fish or plants/invertebrates if caught in the right stage of the life cycle, or can even come from frozen foods.

I'm new to ick myself right now, treating my two favourite boys. I've gone the 3X Aq Salt treatment and raised temp to 86.

From the research I did and sounds the most sensible is the combo makes the parasites free-swimming (thus water changes to remove them) and also quickens their life cycle.

What I've done is treated the entire tank with the proper AQ salt dosage one day, and then scooped my boys into their individual qts floating in the tank. This way I can treat them with out a terrible amount of water changing aside from their 1 gallon qts, and I'm more efficiently getting rid of free-swimming parasites.

As for the parasites still in the 10g, from what I've read they need to latch onto a fish in a few days, or they die.

So my theory is floated qts in 86F with salts for 3-4 days (and so far the ich is definitely clearing), then I'll do the 10g water change, and then I'll re-introduce my fish. In theory, the parasites in the 10g should be dead/gone, and my fish will be clear of them also.

Then I'll be doing regular doses of aq salt and aquarisol with water changes.

Although I did have to move my plants from the tank and into their own qt tanks in case anymore parasites hitched rides >=(. Darn things.

Anyways, thats what I've learned and brainstormed with a fellow hobbyist. And so far it's working.

I wish you luck on your 55g though, that's a much bigger job =O
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #3 
callistra

Ick is an opportunistic infection and usually comes with poor water and/or fish stress, yes, but overall it seems you are doing a good job with things. Some fish are more sensitive than others and require tighter water parameters, so more info would be helpful..

What's your current stock?

What's your ph and gh (kh too if you know it)?

What are you adding to your water other than conditioner?

What filter are you running and how do you maintain it?

Even a fluctuation of a couple of degrees is not good. Imho and experience, it shouldn't happen unless your heater is not up to the job, you don't have enough water circulation, or your house is dropping too low for the heater to catch up. My Aqueon pros don't even drop a full degree before they kick in. Especially if it's a sudden drop with water change it can be hard. I suggest using a thermometer in the tap to fill up buckets with preheated water, mix up your dechlorinated and whatever else there, and then add.

Treating ick with aquarium salt depends on their life cycle which can be well over a month. Raising temp to 86-88F and so long as your fish can take it will speed up the life cycle to more around 2 weeks and allow it to be treated with salt. Some people with sensitive fish and large tanks treat ONLY by raising temps and no salt. If your fish can take salt though that's good.. rate of 1 tsp per gallon predissolved - also you can't use salt if you have live plants. Leave the heat that high until a week after the very last sign of ick.

You can quarantine and treat outside the tank, meanwhile having no host ick will die in the main tank, however with something so large quarantining may not really be feasible..

ETA: I see that you started cycling your 55g less than a month ago.. Dec 22nd.. So in less than 4 weeks you might not have as stable a cycle as you think.. Also after you were done cycling with ACE you should have done a 90% wc down to the gravel and refilled before adding fish. Did you do this? How long have the fish been in the tank now?

Last edited by callistra; 01-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #4 
xobettaox

Thanks, Syriiven. I think that I may have messed up though, I put all of it in at once, the directions on the back didn't say anything about doing over a period of time or letting it dissolve first :/ I had one tiger barb die yesterday morning, I'm wondering if it was from the salt?

Callistra- I have 4 platies and 7 tigers (3 at the time of ick..). My ph has been a stable 8.3 since I started up the tank. I have prime conditioner in, stress zyme, and some plant stuff. I honestly don't even know what kind of filter it is, but it's for a 55 gal. All I have done to it so far is rinse the part the sucks water out in tank water to clean plant stuff off it, and I switched the cartridges one week apart (I have the ones with carbon attached to them so is 4-5 weeks about the time to change them?) Yeah, with water changes the temp drops about a degree and a half, so maybe that's what caused the ick? The tank was started up Dec 14th and I put in the ACE ammonia that same day. The nitrates could be why they were stressed too... I was doing 2 50% water changes a week to get them down, I didn't do one huge one like I should have, and they were a little over 40 for the first week and a half. The fish have been in there for 3 weeks. Always learning new things that I am doing wrong.. didn't realize fish were so much work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Ick is an opportunistic infection and usually comes with poor water and/or fish stress, yes, but overall it seems you are doing a good job with things. Some fish are more sensitive than others and require tighter water parameters, so more info would be helpful..

What's your current stock?

What's your ph and gh (kh too if you know it)?

What are you adding to your water other than conditioner?

What filter are you running and how do you maintain it?

Even a fluctuation of a couple of degrees is not good. Imho and experience, it shouldn't happen unless your heater is not up to the job, you don't have enough water circulation, or your house is dropping too low for the heater to catch up. My Aqueon pros don't even drop a full degree before they kick in. Especially if it's a sudden drop with water change it can be hard. I suggest using a thermometer in the tap to fill up buckets with preheated water, mix up your dechlorinated and whatever else there, and then add.

Treating ick with aquarium salt depends on their life cycle which can be well over a month. Raising temp to 86-88F and so long as your fish can take it will speed up the life cycle to more around 2 weeks and allow it to be treated with salt. Some people with sensitive fish and large tanks treat ONLY by raising temps and no salt. If your fish can take salt though that's good.. rate of 1 tsp per gallon predissolved - also you can't use salt if you have live plants. Leave the heat that high until a week after the very last sign of ick.

You can quarantine and treat outside the tank, meanwhile having no host ick will die in the main tank, however with something so large quarantining may not really be feasible..

ETA: I see that you started cycling your 55g less than a month ago.. Dec 22nd.. So in less than 4 weeks you might not have as stable a cycle as you think.. Also after you were done cycling with ACE you should have done a 90% wc down to the gravel and refilled before adding fish. Did you do this? How long have the fish been in the tank now?
xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote