Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #1 
Mozzillest

Heavy breathing

Hey guys. I just bought a betta fish for the first time, Fishmael, a few days ago. I like him a lot, but it's been quite since I got him. I can be sort of a hypochondriac (I guess especially with fish), but I've been a big fan of the forums on this site and all the helpful answers people give. So I decided to sign up and ask a question that I haven't heard an answer to.

So it's pretty late at night, I checked on Fish and he seems to be breathing pretty heavily. When I shined a bright light on his gills (which seem to pulsate a lot now) they were black with some red in the middle. I'm not sure if any of this is normal, or if the gills are inflamed/how to go about treating it or it's something else entirely.

Anything helps, thanks.
Mozzillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

More information is going to be needed. What size tank? Filtered? Heated? Tank mates? How long has the tank been set? If filtered was it properly cycled before adding your fish? Are you doing a Fish IN cycle? What water conditioner are you using? Adding anyting else to the water?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #3 
madmonahan

it would help for you to fill this out.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gills, heavy breathing